Announcement of an Announcement :-)

Home Forums General Announcement of an Announcement :-)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  RandomHavoc 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry for sounding a bit like modern game marketing here.

Due to numerous requests in the the last few weeks and especially in the last few days, I’d like to announce that an announcement about a beta release date will be made within this month (August).

Unfortunately I still can’t tell a specific date today, but you will get a firm date in that announcement. Promise. :-)

On a sidenote: I merged numerous ‘release it already’-threads into one and will continue to do so with new ones. The forum was so utterly cluttered by these threads, that it got next to unusable. So please use the merged thread in the first place for everything in this regard. Thanks for your understanding.

MrGeddings

Well that is something at least. yay….? its good you finally are working towards a deadline, i am encouraged by that. sorry for being an ass but. No news is sometimes not so great news.

MrGeddings

actually to be honest with you now that i have seen tridef and have been let down. i think its better your waiting a bit. so far the two other driver implimiations are just arnt that great. perception drivers are buggy and sometimes the shortcut keys stop working magically, and headtracking feels a tad wobbly. Tridef 3D’s drivers are in my opinion at this stage nothing more then a rip off of the perception ones (simular view rendering) a few more options but…i find the headtracking when i tested it out in skyrim to just not be there it wasnt smooth 1 to 1….

so i think its good your waiting a bit until its more stable and has many features and lots of game support. so yeah….i rather have a driver that has a good selection of games. works rather well has less headtracking issues then to have one just rush out with only like 8 games supported thats for damn sure!

well good luck and i hope it wont be too much longer after the “annoucement” for us to order a copy!

DonGateley

Thanks for the info, Ralf. As a software developer that had a really long run (40+ years) and who never released anything that didn’t pass stringent personal standards despite mountains of pressure I well understand that deferring gratification can be a really good thing when that day eventually arrives. Going from villain to hero overnight can be great fun.

Geddings, you are every developer’s nightmare. You can’t even say something nice without a jab. No matter what it turns out to be there is one thing we can be certain of; it won’t satisfy you and you’ll be very vocal about that.

MrGeddings

hey! i actually said this was a good thing! but whatever. serves me right for reading posts after i posted. i have come to the point lately thats its better to not read any reply after i post something anywhere. anyways………

i am saying i actually agree now with him waiting. i want a product that works even in beta form i want the headtracking to feel like its not “off” and that it has a lot of game support not just a few.

so yeah. i agree with the delay thats what perception and tridef should have done instead of rushing out a product thats half baked. take the time no matter how long it takes to make it right. so im saying im SORRY i was a pain in the ass i was just frustratted is all!

Susu986

Hey Ralf!

Thanks very much for communicating! Looking forward for the beta, when it’s ready! :)

DonGateley

hey! i actually said this was a good thing! but whatever. serves me right for reading posts after i posted. i have come to the point lately thats its better to not read any reply after i post something anywhere. anyways………

Maybe that should tell you something.

opaleye

This is good news, I have high expectations already. I feel certain VorpX will prove to be well worth the wait. Patience is a virtue.

Xand0r

This is great news. Got my Rift on Friday and and looking forward to this!

ganjatron

I gotta say, I wish you’d have gone with an open source model for this. People could have been testing out builds, filing bugs in an issue tracker and even checking in patches, instead of just complaining.

You decided to go closed source and commercial, which can work. But at this point I’d be hard pressed to shell out say $80 based on how your perceived development progress has been going. When I’m paying good money for software what I’m buying into is a good support model.

JoeReMi

Yeah I wished everything was free too.

DonGateley

When I’m paying good money for software what I’m buying into is a good support model.

To be fair, he is still in developer mode and likely up to his ears in it. Support at this stage is silly to think about. When it is released then support mode is required and we have no idea how that will go. Personally I’d rather he spend minimal time here soothing impatient feelings and spend maximal time working on it. I can’t take his attendance here now as any indication at all of what will be when that phase arrives. I don’t need him to check in all that often to get warm fuzzies that he’s hard at it.

Earning money from it will be the thing most likely to properly prioritize support and make it possible to secure help with it. As a developer myself I love to see other developers profit from their efforts.

highencast

my wallet is ready :)

RandomHavoc

Your announcement of an announcement seems to have had the desired result of shutting people up, without actually giving any information about the release of your product. So, good job on your strategy, but I still think you a making a a mistake here, unless you have some really unexpected announcement news. So, you planning on the announcement on 8/31 and give a date a few months out, or what?!?

golem09

And if he did, there would be nothing wrong about it. The only reason people were being impatient on the forum was because there was no info at all, not even if the project had been abandoned for the time being.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.