Battlefield 4

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Battlefield 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BoredGamer
    Participant

Anyone have this working on the DK2 on VorpX 0.7.1? I can’t even get it to hook.

Ralf
    Keymaster

BF4 can be tricky sometimes, in the easiest case you may just have to try a few times.

Apart from that here are a few things to try:

1. Disable the in-game overlay in Origin.
    2. Switch from the 64bit to the 32bit version of BF4 or vice versa. Maybe one works better for you.
    3. Go to offline mode in Origin. This circumvents Battlelog and might help with vorpX. However, you will lose online gaming, so do this as a last resort only.

BTW: For whatever reason, the FOV can only be changed in multiplayer, in singleplayer one of the letterbox aspect ratio modes in vorpX is the better option. Less immersive, but better than a cramped FOV.

BTW2: You may have to configure your Rift as primary display in Windows and use “Use system settings” display wise in vorpX for BF4. Not 100% sure currently, but IIRC forcing to the Rift doesn’t really work with BF4.

RicksonNL
    Participant

I can get BF4 to work, but I have problems with the controls via my gamepad. When I use the right analog stick I get a fast turnaround, just like when moving the mouse fast. I tried using less sensitivity as well in the game as in vorpx. Also tried to have the setting for handling the gamepad internally on, but this makes it even worse. Any help?

dany1974
    Participant

after the automated update, I had to reinstall, fortunately that works but now BT4 is not detected by vorpx, I tryied bt4_x86 and it worked.
    Im still using DK1

Russbo
    Participant

I second this. VorpX won’t even hook BF4. Tried main monitor and Rift and neither works. BF4 just launches in 2D mode.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You might have to try a few times. If that doesn’t help you should get it working trying this:

1. Disable the in-game overlay in Origin.
    2. Switch from the 64bit to the 32bit version of BF4 or vice versa. Maybe one works better for you.
    3. Go to offline mode in Origin. This circumvents Battlelog and might help with vorpX. However, you will lose online gaming, so do this as a last resort only.

You may have to configure your Rift as primary display in Windows and use “Use system settings” display wise in vorpX for BF4. Not 100% sure currently, but IIRC forcing to the Rift doesn’t really work with BF4.

BoredGamer
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWy7lRl-mzY
    Make sure you are running the game in Direct3D 11 NOT mantle.
    Create a Shortcut to BF4 using VorpX
    In VorpX config Force Game to start on the Oculus
    Make sure you have the latest SDK & Firmware for the Rift
    If you are using a Catalyst Card, use 14.7Beta drivers

Russbo
    Participant

I’ve tried all three of those things Ralf plus using in extended mode, Rift as main monitor with “use system settings”.

Am in D3D mode, I thought of that haha. I’ll try your other suggestions, thanks :)

Russbo
    Participant

Pretty much regardless of what I tried BF4 doesn’t work. Tried literally everything suggested here and not a thing will get BF4 to work.

R9 290x
    Z87 Pro
    8GB 2400 RAM
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    VorpX 0.7.1
    Catalyst 14.7 Beta RC3

Rift DK2:
    SDK 0.4.2 (runtime 0.4.2)
    Firmware 2.12

I’ve tried:
    – VorpX shortcuts
    – Direct Mode
    – Extended main monitor with “use system settings” and “Only Rift DK2”
    – Extended not as main monitor with both of the above
    – D3D mode for sure
    – Disabled Origin In Game
    – Shut any suspicious background programs that could be causing issues I could think of (with overlays)
    – Tried 32/64 bit
    – 64 bit wouldn’t work via VorpX shortcuts and launched via origin gives exact same result as 32 bit
    – Turned on Offline mode in Origin

Really beginning to think this isn’t my fault that it isn’t working.

So strange since at least 3-4 other games work fine, one or two of which are DX11. I mean GRID 2 worked… It worked horribly because of what it is but it worked and BF4 doesn’t, even when it’s on the “supported” list.

alpha-bravo
    Participant

Very interesting because my system config is similar to yours but with Win7 prof. 64bit and 2xR290X
    Only result I got is a black flickering screen it looks like a very fast ongoing minimize maximise window or something else.

Russbo
    Participant

Yeah, could be GCN 2.0 related. I would try disabling one of your GPUs though.

Any ideas Ralf?

Russbo
    Participant

Any more comments on this Ralf?

tonyvn
    Participant

I had this hooking earlier this week. (And Modern Warfare 2)

But after a reboot these no longer hook.

I get a mono image either on the Rift or on my monitor depending on display device settings.

And no Vorpx Mouse cursor tracked via the HMD.

Russbo
    Participant

I get exactly the same. No hooking whatsoever.

Rotorblade
    Participant

Alright I finally got Battlefield 4 to work.

The problems I had to deal with:

Optimus Nvidia driver not switching from intel to Nvidia with Battlefield and other games. I have dealt with this problem in the past and unfortanatly a reinstall of the entire system fixed it on my older system and it also fixed it on my new system which is a Sager NP7330 13″ notebook with the Nvidia 765GTX card optimus technology.

I really didn’t think I was going to get the Oculus Rift working well on a laptop with a switching graphics card. The reinstall seemed to have fixed my switching issues.

Now for Battlefield 4 and VorpX troubles. I pretty much had the same experience as many other users in this forum where I couldn’t get VorpX to work with any games for a week or more. I was about to give up and then there was a friend who I really wanted to show BF4 to in the Oculus so I sat down tonight and went through the forum posts all over again.

I made sure all apps using 3d are turned off such as Windows Aero, and I couldn’t find anything else since i have a fresh install of Windows 7.

I am using Oculus DK2 in extended mode as primary to get this to work.

Now I had seen suggestions to use VorpX to create a shortcut for battlefield and this didn’t work for either exe.

I kept wondering if I was actually launching the game in 32 bit mode. I checked task manager and nope, running in 64 bit still when I thought I was using the 32bit shortcut.

The fix for me that finally got it working:

Step 1: Launch Origin

Step 2: Right click on battlefield 4 and go down to Game Properties

Step 3: change “When Launching this game” to “Battlefield 4 (x86)”

Step 4: check mark “disable Origin in Game for this game”

When I launched the game it worked. Then I had to remember shift middle mouse button for edge peak which works great.

Other tips related to eye strain and bf4:

I then redid the measurement for Eye Position for Current Device in the Oculus Config to better improve the view for less eye strain. For some reason mine was off, I go between two systems with my Oculus Rift DK2.

I also found that after you put on the Oculus Rift DK2 to close your eyes real hard to help move some of the skin into the goggles around your eyes. I found this in the reddit post about Oculus and Eye strain.

Battlefield is now working well for me and a bit less strain on the eyes. I thought for sure I wasn’t going to get it working but through persistence I was able to get this to work and to share the experience with my friend.

I hope this can help other BF4 lovers to get this working.

This guy Ralf is doing a lot of work answering peoples posts. I believe VorpX is some great software!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!