Cinematic Mod for HL2

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Cinematic Mod for HL2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    revel911
    Participant

So, when I use VORPX for HL2 …. works fine.

When I use the Cinematic Mod for HL2 …. works fine.

When I use VORPX for the Cinematic Mod for HL2 ….. no VR at all.

revel911
    Participant

Figured it out, now just need to get the resolution to 4:5 and the head tracking a little less sensitive.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Half Life 2 Cinematic – fond memories… I never could stand the odd Alyx model that was introduced in later versions, but otherwise this mod was/is outstanding.

Wildan
    Participant

So how did you get it working with Vorpx? I simply can’t figure it out, even if I disable every option in the CM config tool.
    Regular HL2 launches just fine with Vorpx but when I start the cinematic mod, I get nothing on my rift screens, just on my monitor.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I never used the Cinematic Mod with vorpX myself, sorry. When I used it many years ago it was more or less “just” a texture/music pack.

Maybe it has its own .exe now for example or something similar, so that vorpX can’t recognize it. That’s just a guess though.

Wildan
    Participant

Cinematic Mod installs into an own folder in the steam/common directory. Upon installation it copies some files from the original HL2/EP1/EP2, and then seems completely independent from the Steam installation.

It comes with 5 .exe files:
    Configurator.exe handles some options, 3 launcher .exe files for each episode and hl2.exe which starts automatically when one of the launcher files is executed. It can’t launch on it’s own.

VorpX never recognizes the hl2.exe as the actual game. Also, when I link and start the exe through “create desktop shortcut” I get the message: “VorpX Control is already running”.

I realize I replied to a very old thread but revel911, if you’re still around I’d be very grateful to know the solution.

mareknr
    Participant

I have problem to run even basic Half Life 2 game. The game never runs in HTC Vive. It always runs in monitor.

Wildan
    Participant

You can try these:
    1. Make sure you don’t use any DLL injectors like ENB, SweetFx or trainers.
    2. Disable SLI if you have it.
    2. Enable windowed mode in Half Life 2 video options.
    4. Rightclick on vorpX Control system tray symbol, click on “Create Desktop Shortcut” and target hl2.exe. Run it from the new created desktop shortcut.
    5. Disable your antivirus and firewall or better add their .exe files to the excluded programs list in vorpX configuration.
    6. Enable vorpX running as administrator in the general tab in vorpX configuration.
    7. Force Half Life 2 to run in Vive native resolution (1080×1200): In Steam rightclick on Half Life 2 -> properties -> in general tab click on “set launch options” and type in:
    -width 1080 -height 1200

mareknr
    Participant

Thanks for helping me. I did everything as you wrote. So now if I run the game without VorpX, it runs in window and with resolution of 1080×1200. But if I use VorpX. The game start with different resolution and in fullscreen. Does the profile do this? I imported from the cloud the default profile created by VorpX in actual version.

mareknr
    Participant

So now it works. But I have 2 questions:
    1) How I make shortcuts to episodes 1 and 2?
    2) When I use Direct VR, FOV attempts settings failed. Why is that? I’m running VorpX as administrator. So without proper FOV, the whole game scene is waving when I rotate with my head. 3D FOV Enhancement help a bit to that, but not in 100%. Is it normal or there is something bad in my settings? I changed resolution in game too. to 2K in 4:3 (as VorpX recommend use this ratio).

Wildan
    Participant

You can’t make VorpX desktop shortcuts for the episodes, they use hl2.exe as well. You can only launch them through Steam or shortcuts made by Steam I believe. In my first few attempts to run VorpX, for some reason it couldn’t hook into any game without running them via shortcuts but soonafter it worked just by launching the game through Steam or regular desktop shortcut.

Don’t know about the Vive but in Oculus Direct VR scan failing is usually fixed by resetting the default VR view through the oculus app. Also make sure the sensors are able to track the headset correctly.

To be on the safe side set the desired fov in the HL2 as well. 120 should be fine. You can’t do it with the slider in the options, you have to create a text file in steamapps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2\cfg folder which contains this line:
    default_fov 120

When you’re done save the file and rename it in autoexec.cfg.

Whenever you’re scaning direct VR in any game wait until the player character can actually look around. When the scan is complete, disable direct VR for the time being (to check some options), go to head tacking settings and make sure both, HT sensitivity and HT tracking strength are set to 1.0. Also check that both HT roll and HT positional tracking are on. When you’re set renable direct VR, lower image zoom setting just enough so you don’t see edges of the screen in your peripheral vision and you’re good to go.

mareknr
    Participant

OK. That’s a lot information. I will try what you wrote. Thank you for your time and explanation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!