Does ,,direct vr" games looks like native vr?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Does ,,direct vr" games looks like native vr?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    e0s888
    Participant

Hi,

I recently bought oculus rift and I am very happy with immersion it provides.
    Unfortunatley you can not play many real games with it and I thought that it is time to check some old must play games. Then I heard about this program. After reading many posts I have just one question because there are many opinions for and against (and its look like those against are from people that can not set up games properly, correct me if I am wrong). Does direct vr games stated in last patch,, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source” looks like a native vr games like for example assetto corsa or Elite? Or the view is closer to zbuffer method which someone said is similar to 3d tv view?
    I don’t mind spending some time on configurations and things like changing to 2d view to check map etc.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

With direct VR it’s close to native, but there still some pretty big bugs in most games. Giant hands in Skyrim… The game resetting direction, when walking into a Portal in Portal. Had a menu problem in New Vegas, but it might have been fixed in the latest hotfix. If you just want stuff to work out of the box I still wouldn’t recommend it. If you are willing to tweak or use mods, some games like Skyrim or New Vegas can play absolutely amazingly, though unwanted problems can still pop-up from time to time even in these games. I played about 40 hours of New Vegas in Vorpx and even with the issues it was still was an amazing VR experience, and way more fun than any of the 4 hour VR games I’ve tried so far. It felt like a true VR experience except for a little hassle with the menu, which was alleviated with some clever controller settings.
    Vorpx is an amazing app and by far the best VR purchase I’ve made so far. Even if you the games you want to play aren’t quite there yet is is still absolutely amazing to walk around in you favorites games, just how they look in VR. And though very few games feel native. You can almost always find a compromise, that makes something playable. I for instance plan on playing Skyrim Special Edition in z-buffered 3D with headtracking as my gpu isn’t strong enough ton handle True 3D in that game.

Marco
    Participant

Some games are very close to native VR. Graphics of those games is even better than any native game, like Bioshock Infinite. There always be some things to get used to, like controls in case u wanna play standing is a bit different than the typical room scale game on Vive. But i think it worth it.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Doesn’t Bioshock Infinite crash in every cutscene now?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Apparently there is a hightened crash risk with Direct VR in this game. In some games something like that can happen from time to time when one writes directly into a program’s memory. Hence the explicit warning in this regard on the scanner screen that is shown on every scan.

You can of course play the game (all games) exactly like before without Direct VR if there are partsof a game where this happens too often in short periods of time. So, while not ideal, it’s relatively easy to circumvent.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Cool, thans for the info will I’ll try definitely try this game out with Direct VR then.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Doesn’t Bioshock Infinite crash in every cutscene now?

I just started playing Infinite with Vorpx DirectVR, and the game seemed to stall when I got to the bit where you’re supposed to throw the baseball. I had to disable vorpx and play through that bit normally, and then started up with Vorpx at the next autosave point.

My only issue now is that the game is constantly crashing during gameplay. I’m currently in the gun fight just after the baseball throwing bit, and the game is crashing at different points during the battle… Not sure if it’s Vorpx causing the crashes, planning to try playing through this bit without vorpx today to see if it still crashes…

Anyone else having issues with random crashes during hectic fights while using vorpx?

And I actually like aiming with my face, I’ve been making headshots like a pro, so hopefully this will make the battles go faster and I can concentrate on enjoying the story and environment ;)

Ralf
    Keymaster

You might want to wait until the next vorpX version before you try again. It will be out within the next 10 days or so. I spent almost two weeks on addressing/working around Unreal Engine Direct VR issues recently.

There won’t be a 100% guarantee, a certain crash risk is inherent with something like Direct VR, but after the recent changes I was able to play through the Bioshock Infinite sequence in question about a dozen times without a single crash. Similarly positive test results for a rather crashy sequence in Aliens: Colonial Marines and loading screen crashes in Bioshock 1/2, so I’m quite confident that the changes improved overall Direct VR stability for Unreal Engine games considerably.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, guess I’ll just hang out in Skyrim until the next update goes live ;)

StreetPreacher
    Participant

And since I have your attention, I’ve been searching the forums, but I can’t seem to find any info on why Half Life 2 seems to have messed up textures when I play with Vorpx?

I’ve searched through 20 pages of threads looking for a Half Life 2 thread but haven’t found it yet, so was just wondering if there’s a quick fix for the floor texture just turning black or white, and the walls disappearing so that I can see the city, etc….

I’ll keep searching the forums, but is this a common problem?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Never heard of that before as far as I can remember. It certainly doen’t happen in the first hour or so normally.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

weird, thanks. it’s some odd rendering issue. the character models teeth and eyes are also being displayed what appears to be about a foot in front of their faces… More troubleshooting I guess :)

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Is there a specific build of Half Life 2 that is supported? I’m using the ‘complete edition’ and everything is normal until I try loading it with Vorpx, and then a bunch of textures show up white, black, or transparent… Also episode 1 & 2 don’t even seem to launch with vorpx active…

just frustrating since it seems this is a system specific problem on my side :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

The normal Steam version is used here. Incidentally I worked on Direct VR for both Episode 1 and 2 a few days ago. Haven’t really played besides loading a few savegames and checking Direct VR, but I didn’t encounter any issues. Half-Life 2 is supported for so long, I’m sure there would have been quite a few reports in case of a general issue thus severe.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Half-Life 2 is supported for so long, I’m sure there would have been quite a few reports in case of a general issue thus severe.

Yes, that’s the frustrating part! It seems I’m the only person to have encountered any issues lol.

EDIT: I just tested again and it seems that it’s the Geometry 3D setting that causes the problem. If I switch to z nomral or adapative or turn off 3d then all the textures are normal, but they get messed up again as soon as I switch back to geometry 3d…. I’m also failing the FOV scan, if that means anything…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!