Horrible results – What gives?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Horrible results – What gives?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kinky Jalepeno
    Participant

Hi,
    Ive tried Vorpx in both Badlands 2 and the original Skyrim and all I can say is they are both horrible.

The field of view is tiny and for instance, in Skyrim I have gigantic hands, the 3D isn’t too bad but seriously.

Am I doing something wrong? My typical test goes like this (I’ll use Skyrim as an example)
    1. Fire up configure VorpX
    2. Check I have a Skyrim profile, good I have one.
    3. Go to “game settings optimiser” and select Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim
    4. Click “Optimise settings” then “Apply and Close”
    5. Launch game
    6. Do the scan as requested.

Horrible, utterly horrible.
    Any advice would be appreciated, if I can’t any decent kind of result soon, i’ll cut my losses and uninstall.

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

First please make sure that you choose a game resolution appropriate for your PC. vorpX’s default (1280×1024), which is applied by the game optimizer, is a compromise between quality and performance. On a reasonably fast system (e.g. GTX 1070) you can go beyond that (1600×1200 or 1920×1440). Tip: reduce graphics settings from “Ultra” to “High” in the game’s launcher. Looks almost as good and helps to maintain a good framerate at higher resolutions.

For Skyrim (the DX9 version) vorpX also has an internal upscale option, which you can use alternatively. It can be found on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu.

The field of view is calculated 100% correct by Direct VR provided that the scan succeeded. If you still feel it looks ‘tiny’, you can raise it on the Direct VR page of the vorpX ingame menu. Keep in mind though that this will cause image distortion. The auto-calculated FOV is 100% correct.

The first person/weapon FOV can also be further adjusted on the Direct VR page of the vorpX ingame menu to a certain degree. General info: hands/weapons in many games are rendered separate from the world to look good on a monitor. Despite adjusting the FOV vorpX can’t do much about that.

In Skyrim however you can install mods that use the third person player model in first person view. There are several of those. Not all might work with vorpX though.

Kinky Jalepeno
    Participant

First please make sure that you choose a game resolution appropriate for your PC. vorpX’s default (1280×1024), which is applied by the game optimizer, is a compromise between quality and performance. On a reasonably fast system (e.g. GTX 1070) you can go beyond that (1600×1200 or 1920×1440). Tip: reduce graphics settings from “Ultra” to “High” in the game’s launcher. Looks almost as good and helps to maintain a good framerate at higher resolutions.

Hi Ralf,
    Thanks for chipping in.
    My machine is an i7-7700 with a 1080Ti and 32gb 3200Mhz DDR4 so I don’t expect peformance issues.

Ok so this 100% sounds like a resolution issue for me.
    So in a nutshell then, I should untick the resolution from the optimiser and use whichever I can get away with correct? I don’t need to amend the Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim profile?

Thanks I’m going to have another play around.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Exactly. Applying the optimizer settings isn’t strictly needed for most games with Direct VR support anyway. That’s a little bit confusing right now, most things that the optimizer does are redundant if a game has Direct VR support.

Incidentally I’m in the process of unifying both right now, so it will be less confusing soon. The config app optimizer as it is will be gone in the next vorpX version and what it does will be done automatically when you start a game if needed.

Resolution wise the same rule of thumb applies to any game: the vorpX default recommendation of 1280×1024 is the lowest that still looks halfway decent. If you can reach 45fps minimum, you can go higher though. Quality wise 4:3 resolutions like 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 are the best for vorpX.

Kinky Jalepeno
    Participant

Exactly. Applying the optimizer settings isn’t strictly needed for most games with Direct VR support anyway. That’s a little bit confusing right now, most things that the optimizer does are redundant if a game has Direct VR support.

Incidentally I’m in the process of unifying both right now, so it will be less confusing soon. The config app optimizer as it is will be gone in the next vorpX version and what it does will be done automatically when you start a game if needed.

Resolution wise the same rule of thumb applies to any game: the vorpX default recommendation of 1280×1024 is the lowest that still looks halfway decent. If you can reach 45fps minimum, you can go higher though. Quality wise 4:3 resolutions like 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 are the best for vorpX.

Thanks but how do those resolutions work since the Rift and Vive are 1080×1200?
    Ah well I’ll continue to play around and wait for the next version.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please choose the standard 4:3 resolutions that I recommended earlier: 1600×1200 or 1920×1440, those are best for vorpX for various reasons. For your machine 1920×1440 will work fine.

If you “only” have a 1080 monitor, you will have to run the game windowed for that. Otherwise the higher resolutions won’t work.

If you play the original DX9 Skyrim, you can alternatively use the “Internal Resolution Upscale” option in the vorpX ingame menu that I mentioned earlier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!