Not "VR", but more 3D with Head Tracking?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Not "VR", but more 3D with Head Tracking?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MrMarblz
    Participant

I recently bought VorpX because I’ve seen a lot of videos where people were amazed about using it with GTA V, Skyrim, & Alien Isolation.

Well, I barely got GTA V to work. There’s still a lot of tweaking involved but I’m wondering if it’s even worth it because I am very disappointed. From what I have seen I would not call it virtual reality at all. I would say it’s more like you’re playing a 3D movie with head tracking and the screen stays in front of you.

I get that these games are not native to VR. But I expected better than this because these games are programmed using models/assets/sprites. So why can’t it actually look like you are placed in the space rather than feeling like you are interacting with a 3D video?

Honestly, I hope I am just doing something wrong and someone can point me in the right direction because I am very let down by the experience.

Karlor
    Participant

Well all VR is just 3D with headtracking. That’s sort of the core behinde the whole idea. I would say give it another shot and try to tune it in. VorpX does a great job of getting you there but depending on the game you gotta tweek it to match you. I don’t think your expectations are too high, I just think people under estimate how much work some people put into setting up the perfect experience. like videos of full vr gtav with motion controls looks awesome, but the set up to get there is a ton of work on your end. Keep at it and you’ll figure out what works for you.

AerowynX
    Participant

play some directVR supported games.. games like Bioshock, Dishonored 1, Stanely parable after you do the scan do feel very close to native VR games

AerowynX
    Participant

also make sure 3D mode is on Geometry

markbradley1982
    Participant

I have been playing Fallout New Vegas for 40 hours now using VorpX with a Direct VR scan and I personally would never go back to playing it on a flat computer monitor.

I disagree that it’s like looking at a 3D screen with head tracking. I feel the same sort of presence that I do with native VR games sans motion controls.

Although I am using mouse and keyword with New Vegas, New Vegas is a very immersive game in its own right which more than makes up for the lack of motion controls by having some very deep gameplay. The extra layer of immersion by adding position, rotational, and geometric stereoscopy makes this an experience that I enjoy just as much as my standing and room scale native VR games.

Highly recommended. Hell I’d even be willing to pay Ralf a monthly fee through patreon or even paypal if it helps him add Direct VR support, or at the very least Z buffer 3D support, to more games.

I almost feel like the $40 is too little for the great experience I’ve been having. I certainly feel like I am having more bang for my buck than paying $30 to play Rick and Morty for 90 minutes.

Wildan
    Participant

Lol, turn the “virtual cinema mode” to off.

SpynalTom
    Participant

I agree with Wildan, you probably just have Virtual Cinema mode on. It should be all around you not just in a screen in front of you. Virtual Cinema is great for some situations, like 3rd person games. I promise once you get something working like it’s supposed to you will understand. Skyrim, Fallouts, BioShocks, RE7, and even Half Lifes are game you will probably never play flat again once you see it in it’s full glory.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!