Oculus Rift: vorpx logo appears, but ALL games freeze while loading intro videos

Homepage Forums Technical Support Oculus Rift: vorpx logo appears, but ALL games freeze while loading intro videos

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
    Participant

I purchased my Oculus Rift today (CV1), and its running great.

I also purchased vorpx today. Unfortunately, this software will not work for ANY game as it is causing them to lock up as soon as the game starts to load. You’ll see the Intro video for the game, and the vorpx logo, but within 2 secs the game freezes up and it’s completely unresponsive.

I have Win 10, NVidia gtx 1080, i5 4670k, 16 gigs ram. I have tried uninstalling ge-force experience, making sure no other overlays are being used from Steam,etc…

To put it simply, vorpx will not function AT ALL when configured for Oculus Rift. If I try “generic VR Headset”, the the game runs fine, and you see the stereo separation in the game screen, etc…

There was an Oclulus update today, which was installed before I purchased vorpx. So I can’t compare to the previous version. Is there a known problem with this new update?

Please help…. very bummed right now. If this can’t be resolved I will need to ask for a refund, as the software is useless to me like this.

TerryRed
    Participant

OK… I think the original problem, is that the Oculus headset only activates when you actually put it on, and vorpx is waiting for that to happen….

So I have vorpx mostly working which I am very happy about.

However…. I got vorpx to mainly run racing games like dirt 2, dirt 3, and other codemasters games.

I “thought” that vorpx would be able to use the head tracking emulation to support the Track IR headtracking that these games have. However, it seems that vorpx does not support direct head tracking for these games? Instead it emulates it only through gamepad or mouse emulation, etc? I understand other games need that, but these specific racing games already had head tracking support.

Please clarify so I don’t go insane trying to do things the hard way if its not even possible… :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

While technically possible the company behind Track IR unfortunately doesn’t allow their tracking API to be used by anything else than their own hardware.

You should be able to use OpenTrack though which can map SteamVR input to TrackIR. While theoretically also affected by the same legal issues, its author apparently doesn’t care, which is quite bold considering how incredibly protective the Track IR company acts regarding patents and IP in general. Maybe he lives in China, Russia or some other country that doesn’t care – but that’s just a guess.

You’ll probably have to use vorpX in SteamVR mode too to avoid conflicts.

There may be a different, vorpX internal solution for at least some Codemasters games in the next vorpX version, but I can’t really promise that yet.

TerryRed
    Participant

While technically possible the company behind Track IR unfortunately doesn’t allow their tracking API to be used by anything else than their own hardware.

You should be able to use OpenTrack though which can map SteamVR input to TrackIR. While theoretically also affected by the same legal issues, its author apparently doesn’t care, which is quite bold considering how incredibly protective the Track IR company acts regarding patents and IP in general. Maybe he lives in China, Russia or some other country that doesn’t care – but that’s just a guess.

You’ll probably have to use vorpX in SteamVR mode too to avoid conflicts.

There may be a different, vorpX internal solution for at least some Codemasters games in the next vorpX version, but I can’t really promise that yet.

Thank you for the quick response.

I did try OpenTrack, and did get it working through Freetrack. I’ve used Freetrack for many years in my simpit, so I’m very familiar with it.

I found I just need to have OpenTrack running first, then I run vorpx. I found as long as I have vorpx headtracking disabled for that game, (including gamepad headtracking) it can work fairly well together.

I will still have to play around with FOV settings etc in Dirt 2,etc but it does work. Thank you!

I can’t seem to get Grid AutoSport working natively with Oculus Rift however. (It did support Oculus Rift directly) Anyone havew any tips on getting that to work without using vorpx somehow?

Look forward to future Codemasters possible solutions with vorpx. Thank you again for the quick reply.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!