Portal 2 – Problems

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Portal 2 – Problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DarkOrb
    Participant

Hey,

I have some problems with Portal 2. Whenever i play it with DirectVR, I am way to big. In the VorpX configuation menu there is a “height modifier”, but i can only set it to “-2.0” (which is way too little). The next problem is: When Wheatley wakes me up, i’m not in my chamber anymore. I am outside, below the chamber.

What can i do to fix this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds like the tracking might not be centered. You can re-center the tracking at any time with ALT+SPACE or the button on the main page of the vorpX ingame menu.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Have you turned positional tracking on? It needs to be off for portal.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is not necessary at all. Like with all games that have positional tracking it just should be re-centered at the beginning of a game session (and ideally also later from time to time).

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

Try it out. When you load into the first level after the tutorial withg positional tracking on, you are stuck under the stage. It didn’t help me to re-center.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unless positional tracking is handled by Direct VR (which is not the case for Portal 2) it is applied *after* the game has finished its rendering, so recentering the tracker always sets the camera exactly to the game’s camera position. vorpX has no access to a game’s actual camera position unless positional Direct VR is available for a game.

Even if for some odd reason something like that may happen in this specific place, it’s certainly not true for other parts of the game.

Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I had this problem and turned positional tracking off, which fixed it until I went to the testing chamber, where I turned it on again and could suddenly walk in the air. Turned it off again and the camera was back to my characters position. It doesn’t matter that much, ’cause I probably wouldn’t play with Direct VR until the fixed directionel portal bug is dealt with… If possible at all. That just a person deal breaker, but I might try to set it up well in the normal VR mode. It must be so trippy to fly through portals on the later stages :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try a Direct VR rescan (or game restart) if something like that happens. Although unlikely it’s not completely impossible that a memory location that is first used for rotation or FOV when the scan was done is later used for position by a game, which might be an explanation for what you experienced.

Ralf
    Keymaster

An updated Portal 2 profile is now available for download from the cloud. It *should* fix the Direct VR issue in the start room, including the position reset below the stage. As an added bonus it also provides adjustable FOV for the portal gun.

To use it, simply download the “Portal 2 [vorpX]” profile from the cloud in the vorpX config app.

Yohaskan
    Participant

I tried this new profile “Portal 2 [vorpX] without optimization, 1600×1200

But I still have this annoying issue

– After Direct VR activation
    I see flickering/ shakeing sometimes
    The whole scene, like 0.2 second duration and after that, is the Portal gun only. Then it stabilizes but the cycle can resume 5-10 seconds later

In the state it is too disruptive to make the game playable

Yohaskan
    Participant

PS²:
    Strange and interesting thing

I tried the profile with Portal: MEL and there, there is not this problem of flikering / shaking :o

StreetPreacher
    Participant

But I still have this annoying issue

– After Direct VR activation
    I see flickering/ shakeing sometimes
    The whole scene, like 0.2 second duration and after that, is the Portal gun only. Then it stabilizes but the cycle can resume 5-10 seconds later

In the state it is too disruptive to make the game playable

I just started playing Portal and have been noticing the same issue. It’s an odd flicker every few seconds. I thought maybe it was another of my system specific problems with Source engine stuff, but I guess not :(

Too bad, Portal is the only Source game I’ve managed to get working, and they’re supposed to be some of the first to be supported and should work for everyone lol!

I’ll have to try the cloud profiles instead.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please choose a 4:3 resolution in all Source engine games to minimize the chance of any potential issue like this. There’s a notification missing about that in the current build. Also check the hint text regarding Direct VR in general that is shown during each scan, it’s there for a reason.

And last but not least please always make sure that your games are updated to the latest version in Steam before reporting any issues. Especially for Direct VR this can be very important.

Marco
    Participant

I was suggesting this somewhere else: there should be a single ufficial topic for each supported game. This would save a lot of time and troubles to everybody.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That was the original intent of the “Game Hints and Settings” sub forum. There was a readme post about exactly that, which apparently noone read, plus I tried to enforce it for some time by merging threads, resulting mostly in complaints about “deleted” posts…

It was a fight against windmills.

Many people tend to post a question in a new thread before trying to find their answer in existings posts, there is no practical way to change that. At least the majority of posts are posted in the appropriate sub-forums, which is better than nothing – and realistically all one can expect in regard to an organized forum without having to constantly merge and move threads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!