Manually setting of game path for VorpX optimizer

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Manually setting of game path for VorpX optimizer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mareknr
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    Great work as always. There is just one thing which is missing or I can’t find. Is there possibility to manually set game path which is by default searched in windows registers? I reinstalled the Windows 10 approximately 1 month ago, and I didn’t reinstall the steam games which I have in external HDD. I just run them, they install what is necessary and they run just fine. But VorpX optimizer can’t find them. I run them before using optimizer, but it didn’t help. It would be nice to have possibility to set game path manually. Thanks for answer,

Marek

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s a bit more complex than it may look at first sight since multiple .inis may be affected for a game for example. If you have games that store their settings in the Steam folder (true for example for Portal/Half-Life-2), then please check whether your Steam install folder location is correct in the Windows registry. That’s what vorpX uses as a starting point for config files below the Steam folder. The key for that is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\SteamPath

Just in case: If you happen to have a separate admin user account on your PC, make sure to never run the config app as admin, otherwise the Game Optimizer may not be able to find user related paths on multiple occasions, including the Steam path.

mareknr
    Participant

Thanks for answer. I am the case who run VorpX as Admin on my other local account. I did it because VorpX won’t run without admin rights. At least I know where is the problem. Can I apply optimizer settings as Admin, then log off and login with my other account (without admin rights)? Will the settings be saved for every account or it depends on game?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Many games (most actually) store their config files in user specific directories. If you run vorpX with another user than the games there is no way for the optimizer to find the config files.

There is no need to run vorpX as admin normally unless you also run your games as admin. I would even advise specifically against that for a variety of reasons, not just the one above.

Only run vorpX as admin if for some reason you also have to run a game as admin, which should rarely be necessary except for some older games.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!