So I am still on the fence about Vorpx

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion So I am still on the fence about Vorpx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HalloMolli
    Participant

Hello everybody! As the title implies I am not sure whether to buy it or not (since vorpx is kinda polarizing the VR-community). So, if you guys could help me with my decision I’d be very happy.

Things you have to know:

– I am not a tech Person so I won’t have the Patience to learn how to optimize my Settings to achieve the best possible experience. In other words I am looking for a tool where I just push a “start” button and it runs fine by itself.

– I want to buy vorpx to immerse myself into the worlds of two particular games: Witcher 3 and Life is strange. Only Those two games have to work properly. By that I mean provide a ‘real’ (stereoscopic) 3D effect and they have to be playable (e.g. fps and Control wise) at the same time.

(side note: I tried to play Witcher 3 in steam’s big Picture mode and the experience was very bad –> Resolution + only 2D on Screen + I was sitting in a theater)

– My PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz
    GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 iChill X3
    MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
    16GB DDR4-Ram + 500 gb SSD

– I am using Oculus Rift + I own Touch Controllers

Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Both games are third person games, so they aren’t exactly perfect showcases for what vorpX can do. If these are the only two games that you have in mind for playing with vorpX, you should be aware of that.

Per default vorpX shows most third person games on a huge screen in front of you, including the two you mentioned. While you can disable that, vorpX can not convert a third person game into a fully immersive first person VR experience. A third person game stays a third person game.

Games that are better suited for a fully immersive experience with vorpX are first person games like Skyrim for example.

HalloMolli
    Participant

Both games are third person games, so they aren’t exactly perfect showcases for what vorpX can do. If these are the only two games that you have in mind for playing with vorpX, you should be aware of that.

Per default vorpX shows most third person games on a huge screen in front of you, including the two you mentioned. While you can disable that, vorpX can not convert a third person game into a fully immersive first person VR experience. A third person game stays a third person game.

Games that are better suited for a fully immersive experience with vorpX are first person games like Skyrim for example.

Hey Ralf, indeed, I am mainly interested in those two games and I am very well Aware of the fact that they are third Person games. It does not bother me at all.

What I meant with immerse myself into the world is that I don’t want to be reminded all the time that I am just sitting in a Cinema looking at a gigantic Screen on which a very low res game is displayed. I want to put myself as Close as possible into both worlds. To achieve my desired Level of Immersion is – besides putting me into the world – , however, a ‘natural’ 3D effect.

Let me put it this way: Always when I Play the Witcher 3 I feel like I am missing so much Detail that was put into those beautifully crafted worlds. As I said: The Big Screen mode in steam is garbage. Here is hoping that Vorpx is more suited to fulfil this desire.

Edit: As far as I understand you correctly, vorpx does nothing Different than Steam’s Big Picture mode? So again I am sitting in a virtual room looking at a virtual (3D-)Display? Damn. That’s not what I am looking for. Thank you for the clarification, though.

HalloMolli
    Participant

Huh, I can’t edit my post anymore? Well, I just wanted to add that I’ve just found a first Person mod for Witcher 3 :P .

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX does a lot more. E.g. providing Stereo 3D and head tracking. In case of Witcher 3 it’s a 3D effect that is applied after rendering the game, so it’s not as pronounced as the 3D effect in native apps. Life is Strange has full Geometry 3D, which means the scene is rendered twice like in native apps. You can also move the “screen” very close to you, so that it fully fills the view to enhance immersion or turn off the cinema mode altogether.

You can have a lot of fun with with these two games and vorpX, but you should be aware that they don’t belong to the games where vorpX really shines. The best games for vorpX, especially in regard to easy configuration, are the ones with the new Direct VR feature, currently that includes: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

HalloMolli
    Participant

vorpX does a lot more. I.e. providing Stereo 3D and head tracking. In case of Witcher 3 it’s a 3D effect that is applied after rendering the game, so it’s not as pronounced as the 3D effect in native apps. Life is Strange has full Geometry 3D, which means the scene is rendered twice like in native apps. You can also move the “screen” very close to you, so that it fully fills the view to enhance immersion.

You can have fun with with these two games and vorpX, but you should be aware that they don’t belong to the games where vorpX really shines.

The best games for vorpX, especially in regard to easy configuration, are the ones with the new Direct VR feature, currently that includes: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

Thank you for your Reply again, Ralf, that’s very useful Information. Unfortunately the only games I find somewhat appealing are Skyrim and Fallout 4. But Fallout 4 will get a native VR-Support anyways (soon) and from what I’ve heard you have to reduce the graphical ‘fidelity’ to a medium Setting in Skyrim for it to become playable via vorpx in VR. And I can only Play the game with a ton of mods loaded so I am afraid it won’t be a pleasent experience playing it in VR (–> due to low fps), I guess.

Allow me two last questions:

1) What’s the difference between the 3D effect in Witcher 3 compared to a, say, native 3D effect. Yes, I get it, it’s not as significant as you’d expect but is it still, well, enjoyable enough to settle down with the low Resolution of the game (I know, it’s a very subjective question…)?

2) I suppose that I will have to work myself through the Settings of vorpx to make Witcher 3 work in VR, yes? So am I right in assuming that it won’t be something like: Load vorpx –> ‘bind’ it with witcher 3 –> push ‘Play in VR’-button in vorpx –> enjoy Witcher 3 in VR?

(note: I read some of your patch notes from the newest update of vorpx and the easy functionality you’ve just untroduced does not apply to Witcher, correct?)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The 3D effect in Witcher 3 isn’t as pronounced as in native since it is applied after rendering the game. In contrast to that Life is Strange has full Geometry 3D, which works like native apps by rendering the scene twice.

You can play both games with the default settings, but if you want to make them more immersive, you will need to adjust settings. The one-click games that require no configuration for a fully immersive experience are the ones listed above with the new Direct VR feature: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

Ovo
    Participant

I am looking for a tool where I just push a “start” button and it runs fine by itself.

I’ve heard you have to reduce the graphical ‘fidelity’ to a medium Setting in Skyrim for it to become playable via vorpx in VR. And I can only Play the game with a ton of mods loaded

If I summarize, you’re both lazy and picky with video games (not a criticism). VorpX is not for you then, you’d most likely end up frustrated.

HalloMolli
    Participant

I am looking for a tool where I just push a “start” button and it runs fine by itself.

I’ve heard you have to reduce the graphical ‘fidelity’ to a medium Setting in Skyrim for it to become playable via vorpx in VR. And I can only Play the game with a ton of mods loaded

If I summarize, you’re both lazy and picky with video games (not a criticism). VorpX is not for you then, you’d most likely end up frustrated.

Yeah, I guess so. Regarding Skyrim: I’ve been playing the game since its release and my steam account Shows that i’ve spent almost 1000 hours in skyrim. If you are used to graphical mods since over 4 years now you can’t go back, at least I can’t.

But I appreciate your honesty. It’s a bummer that vorpx 3 does not provide stereoscopical 3D for Witcher 3 (since it has by far the most beautiful and immersive game world I have seen in a Videogame to this date) :( .

dborosev
    Participant

Try it in cinema mode. Its the only way I use it now. Amazing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!