Vive VorpX Beta + Alien Isolation = First impressions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vive VorpX Beta + Alien Isolation = First impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    steveo
    Participant

Hey guys, first post here. Just got VorpX and decided to try alien isolation.

After fiddling around with image zoom and fov config addition inside alien isolations file explained here This is very close to being perfect.
    The only thing right now is i have no way of making the HUD fit the lense properly so the important info like health and weapon etc and other text sit in areas that is not really readable. If there was a way to make the hud fit the lenses, it would spot on. Few graphical glitches with dynamic shadow/light projection not being the same in each eye but thats the game engines fault i am sure.
    Other than that, this is pretty damn awesome. Nice work Ralf :)

Usvart
    Participant

Can you share your Settings with us? Is there a way I can move my head while Walking, without influenceing my moving direction?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Decoupling head movement from walking is only possible for a few rare esceptions like Arma III where the engine itself allows this. Most other games are just not made for that.

You can fake this to a certain degree with the Virtual Cinema Mode (Ambience or “None” scene) and the screen moved very close towards you. That give you an immersive view of the scene and some freedom to look around, but it’s not really the same as decoupled head movement.

Klownicle
    Participant

I’d like to know said settings as well. What was the Image Zoom option you used, and what did you set your FOV to?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Image Zoom is a function of vorpX. You can find on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu.

Please check the Essential Game Hints Guide in the help for this and other important infos that help you get things going.

FOV can be changed with an ini tweak: http://www.pcinvasion.com/how-to-increase-the-fov-in-alien-isolation-and-remove-intros

The best resolutions for vorpX are 5:4/4:3 resolutions. 1280×1024 or 1600×1200 if a game runs fast enough with that.

Usvart
    Participant

In another thread you said

Create a custom resolution with aspect ratio 8:9 in your graphics driver control panel. It can be anything, but a few options are: 1280×1440, 960×1080, 1600×1800, and 1920×2160. A good choice quality wise is 1280×1440 (if possible on your PC). If you are after performance, choose 960×1080

1600×1200 or 1600×1800 ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can use any resolution you want. The higher, the better the image quality. 5:4/4:3 resolutions like 1280×1024 or 1600×1200 are usually the best choice. They don’t have to be added mnually to your graphics driver and also have some advantages regarding async timewarp.

Just keep an eye on performance while experimenting. Maintaining 45fps is important on the Vive. The optimal resolution in the end depends on the game and how fast your PC is, just like with normal gaming on a monitor.

Klownicle
    Participant

As far as resolution goes, the vertical resolution works nicely for the FOV but the game cuts off the tracker. I tried the standard 1600×1200 etc, and you can see a little more FOV of the tracker. But still, the tracker is only half way showing in your FOV. It’s a great start but sadly, I still don’t see the game as playable given the tracker is an essential part of this game. Without it you can’t track the Alien and the suspense is lost.

Plus the lighting details mentioned in the first post really muck with your eyes. Looking in at pickup objects, the 3d effect splits the imagery. The lighting details are only shown in one eye. Imho, you can’t play with this 3D reconstruction for extended periods.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can use EdgePeek (press the mouse wheel) to look at HUD elements and other things that aren’t in your field of view otherwise.

steveo
    Participant

Yeah i have been doing that, its a great feature. How ever i dont know if i can play this game, now i have it all setup and comfortable – it is absolutely terrifying.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I think Aliens: Colonial Marines is quite nice in VR if you want something less scary. Very different, not really scary and actually pretty much a run-of-the-mill-shooter, but it captures the atmosphere of the second Alien movie quite nicely.

I didn’t play til the end, but had a few hours of fun with it. Still one of my standard test cases for vorpX. Alien fans should definitely give it a chance.

BattleBox
    Participant

Does anyone know how to fix shadows or lights being rendered wrong in geometry mode? It helps to use very low 3d seperation value but the 3d effects are reduced a lot ofc. and z-mode is also sub-optimal.
    – > VorpX 16.2 with Vive

Vadian
    Participant

Ralf: For games being played with vorpx’ controller support, wouldn’t it be possible for vorpx to modify the directional movement based on the direction of the head from center? Something like this:

Moving forward, looking straight: FW: 1 LR (strafe): 0

Moving forward, looking at 45 degrees left: FW: 1/sqrt(2) R: 1/sqrt(2)
    This would cause the player to move at a 45 degree angle to the right of the current view.

The equations are fairly simple, and I think that for *some* games this may work if you are able to inject an interface layer between the controller and an analog input and have the information on the angle of the head.

Thoughts?

Lupinthegreat
    Participant

Some tweaking and I got it to look pretty good and feel natural on the headset. However, I always lose head tracking. It head tracks when i start the game, or come from the pause menu, but as soon as I start walking and stop, there is no more head tracking. Does anyone else have this issue?

Its pretty sweet though, but only seeing a third of the motion tracker is a bit of a kick the butt. I play with the xbox controller, so middle mousing it isn’t very convenient.

Matt
    Participant

@BATTLEBOX—I can’t seem to get a reply to this question. The game looks pretty damn good using Vorpx but the shadows ruin it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!