[Steam] Can’t hook/attach to Red Dead Redemption 2

Home Forums Technical Support [Steam] Can’t hook/attach to Red Dead Redemption 2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Flandy
    Participant

I’m on SteamVR 1.8.21 and VorpX 19.31.1
    I’ve attempted all of the troubeleshooting steps listed in the following link

Basic Trouble Shooting – Please Read This First!

VorpX just gives the following message

Attaching to RDR2.exe
    This takes quite a while. If you suspect the program hangs or you
    don’t want to use vorpx with to it, click the according button

[Add to Exclude List] [Close Program] [Do Nothing]

I’m on a Valve Index and hooking into other games seems to work fine so I’ve come to the conclusion it’s specific to RDR2. I thought it might have been the Rockstar launcher causing issues but that appears to already be on the exclusion list.

I thought it might have been because I was on Vulkan instead of DX12 but when I went into my settings I was in DX12. I’m pretty sure VorpX changed this which confuses me even more since I can’t get the game to attach

The only other variable I can think of is that I’m on the just released Steam Version of RDR2

steph12
    Participant

did you try to run game as administrator ?
    did you try to check alternative hooking method ?
    do you have vorpx control run as administrator box checked ?

Jesustilloves
    Participant

Get rid of the rockstar rdr2 documents file.I also had to update windows 10.

Jesusaves! Romans 8:28

Flandy
    Participant

did you try to run game as administrator ?
    did you try to check alternative hooking method ?
    do you have vorpx control run as administrator box checked ?

Get rid of the rockstar rdr2 documents file.I also had to update windows 10.

Tried everything both of you suggested. As I said earlier other games work fine it’s just RDR2 giving me issues

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please make sure that your Windows 10 is updated to version 1903 (1809 might also work, but I’m not sure). If you are unsure about that run click the start button and then type: winver [ENTER]. The window that now opens should contain the line ‘Version 1903’.

Flandy
    Participant

Please make sure that your Windows 10 is updated to version 1903 (1809 might also work, but I’m not sure). If you are unsure about that run click the start button and then type: winver [ENTER]. The window that now opens should contain the line ‘Version 1903’.

Just checked and I’m on 1903

villain749
    Participant

I am having the exact same problem:
    Vorpx 19.3.1.2
    SteamVR 1.18.21
    Windows 1903
    Using the Steam version of Red Dead Redemption 2

Tried the alternate hooking method, and deleting the documents folder. I get the exact same warning messages as Flandy, and no hook. Vorpx seems to be working great on other games, but not RDR2. I am launching through Steam I don’t know if that matters or not?

Just wanted to bump this thread and bring attention that this may be a common problem among the steam users?

Flandy
    Participant

I am having the exact same problem:
    Vorpx 19.3.1.2
    SteamVR 1.18.21
    Windows 1903
    Using the Steam version of Red Dead Redemption 2

Tried the alternate hooking method, and deleting the documents folder. I get the exact same warning messages as Flandy, and no hook. Vorpx seems to be working great on other games, but not RDR2. I am launching through Steam I don’t know if that matters or not?

Just wanted to bump this thread and bring attention that this may be a common problem among the steam users?

Yeah I’m still having the issue. Was hoping the new update would fix it but alas :\

Ralf
    Keymaster

I bought the Steam version today to check this and don’t have good news unfortunately. vorpX hooks into the game, but initializing D3D12 fails with the Steam version. There is no easy solution for this issue, the error occurs in a call to the D3D12 API, so there isn’t really anything to fix in vorpX itself.

I have some vague ideas regarding a potential cause, and maybe there is a way to work around the issue, but that’s all just theory for now. In the worst case fixing this may require pretty huge changes. I’ll invest an extra day today tomorrow, but don’t expect a fix in the next vorpX release, probably won’t happen until next year.

For now all I can recommend is using the Rockstar Launcher version. Not much reason to use Steam for RDR2 anyway since it requires the Rockstar launcher on top.

Flandy
    Participant

I bought the Steam version today to check this and don’t have good news unfortunately. vorpX hooks into the game, but initializing D3D12 fails with the Steam version. There is no easy solution for this issue, the error occurs in a call to the D3D12 API, so there isn’t really anything to fix in vorpX itself.

I have some vague ideas regarding a potential cause, and maybe there is a way to work around the issue, but that’s all just theory for now. In the worst case fixing this may require pretty huge changes. I’ll invest an extra day today tomorrow, but don’t expect a fix in the next vorpX release, probably won’t happen until next year.

For now all I can recommend is using the Rockstar Launcher version. Not much reason to use Steam for RDR2 anyway since it requires the Rockstar launcher on top.

Guess I’ll just have to wait for a possible fix in the future since I can’t exactly refund the steam version anymore.

idk if this is related or not but RDR2 would crash on boot for me when I would boot it up with dx12 enabled. I had to install some graphics pack for it to work properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15dRP4-RdE (If you look at the comments most are about RDR2) After I installed this it no longer crashed for me. I think this crash happens with the RockStar version too(?) so not steam specific. Don’t know if this will help you at all but I figured I’d throw it out there for you

Hope this gets worked out and thank you Ralf for looking into it and not just leaving us hanging.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Found a workaround: my first suspicion yesterday was that the Steam overlay might be the culprit. To avoid potential overlay conflicts vorpX tries to block it, but in this case it’s already loaded when vorpX attaches, too late for blocking. Disabling it didn’t help either unfortunately. What I didn’t try yesterday is simply renaming the overlay DLL so the game can’t load it anymore. Surprise, surprise, that actually works.

Caveat: Steam replaces missing files on start, so the DLL has to be renamed after each Steam launch. I’ll see whether I can come up with something better, but for now this will do:

1. Launch Steam.
    2. Navigate to your Steam folder in Windows Explorer.
    3. Rename GameOverlayRenderer64.dll to _GameOverlayRenderer64.dll. You can also just delete it, Steam replaces it anyway on next launch.
    4. Launch the game.

If you only see a file named GameOverlayRenderer64 in your Steam folder without the .dll extension, use that. In that case your Windows Explorer is probably configured to not show file extensions.

villain749
    Participant

That worked!!

Thanks Ralf,
    I appreciate your dedication to supporting vorpx. Now if you excuse me I have some O’Driscolls that need to be delt with.

Happy Trails

playerwon
    Participant

That worked!!

Thanks Ralf,
    I appreciate your dedication to supporting vorpx. Now if you excuse me I have some O’Driscolls that need to be delt with.

Happy Trails

+1 worked for me! thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.