How to Make Games Look More Focused and Less Blurry?

Home Forums General vorpX Discussion How to Make Games Look More Focused and Less Blurry?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PhoenixSpyder 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

haints

Right now I’m using vorpx to play Bioshock Infinite and F.E.A.R. and it does a great job with both. The only issue I really have is that both games look a little fuzzy, even at higher resolutions, and I’m wondering how to make the image more focused and clear.

I know vorpx has a “sharpening” option but that doesn’t really fix the issue I’m talking about.

Any suggestions?

nieda113

switch off dof…… i experienced this very badly in GTA5. Everyhing looked fuzzy and blurry even if dof was switched off. What i did was disableing all graphic enhancements. If u use nvidia u can increase the DSR resolution to to 2 or even 4 times.
    Then after u deisabled all grahic enhancements u will need to enable one by one again and try different combinations. My gta 5 is blurry free and even the distant lights look pretty decent.
    GTA5 ws the only game that was fuzzy and blurry and flickering. FO4 Skyrim Bioshock infinite ( very clear and beautifull).
    Maybe that helps…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Apart from game options like motion blur and DOF that nieda already covered there are mainly two factors that have an impact on image sharpness.

The first and most important one is a game’s resolution. The height is important here, not the width. 1440p roughly provides the same pixel density as a native VR game on Rift/Vive, everything above is supersampled. Important: choose 5:4/4:3 resolutions whenever possible, widescreen resolutions are a waste of processing power. 1600×1200 or 1920×1440 are good choices.

The major catch is that the monitor limits the available resolutions, so with a 1920×1080 monitor 1920×1440 likely isn’t available per default. One way around that is adding custom resolutions in your graphics driver control panel, newer nVidia cards should allow custom resolutions higher than your monitor supports. If you have a 1920×1080 monitor, try adding 1920×1440 for example. Worst thing that can happen is the graphics driver not accepting a custom resolution you try to add.

Apart from that a 1440p (or even 4K) monitor is something regular vorpX users might want to consider. With such a monitor you will be able to choose high enough resolutions for almost any game.

The second factor is antialiasing. While ‘real’ antialiasing (MSAA, SSAA) is desirable for VR, post processing AA techniques that are used in many newer games (FXAA, SMAA, TAA etc.) are not since they all blur the image. Some more than others, but not one looks really good in VR. Depending on personal preference it can be better to turn such options off and live with aliased edges instead of a blurred image. SMAA is more acceptable in this regard than FXAA and TAA.

haints

Thank you both for your suggestions! I will try all of them.

chris2033

I hope this topic can help some people so no body accuse me of being a necromancer. I just got Vorpx today 🙂 and am a satisfied customer. I agree with naida133 and Ralf. A simple rendered image without post processing eg AA,DOF etc.. is a good starting place and 1080 horizontal lines are way too few to get a decent image 1440 looks amazing. I have a 4k telly that accepts a 1440p signal natively. The only thing not said so far is there is a setting called crystal image which has off, normal or extreme. A real difference can be seen between the modes. What this setting is doing is changing the ‘supersampling’ or ‘pixel per display’. Normal multiplies the current value by 1.5 and Extreme by 2 ( from 1.4 set in the debug tool i ended up with 2.8!! which is ott). A very strange bit of coding and even stranger name. At first glance I thought this setting must be some sort of horrible post processing and turned it off. It is in fact a very lovely setting that allows me to set a goldilocks ‘pixel per display’ multiple of 2 without opening the Oculus debug tool. thanks for a great software Vorpx keep up the good work. With all of the above dark souls 3 is soooo good and much better than without stereoscopic 3D.

haints

“I hope this topic can help some people so no body accuse me of being a necromancer.”

Took me a second but I like the way you put that.

As long as the information is still relevant I see nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread. You’ve inspired me to experiment with the crystal settings. I’ll post back with the results.

haints

switch off dof…… i experienced this very badly in GTA5. Everyhing looked fuzzy and blurry even if dof was switched off. What i did was disableing all graphic enhancements. If u use nvidia u can increase the DSR resolution to to 2 or even 4 times.
    Then after u deisabled all grahic enhancements u will need to enable one by one again and try different combinations. My gta 5 is blurry free and even the distant lights look pretty decent.
    GTA5 ws the only game that was fuzzy and blurry and flickering. FO4 Skyrim Bioshock infinite ( very clear and beautifull).
    Maybe that helps…

Hey, nieda, you said your GTA V was blur free … could you post your settings here for me to try? Still struggling with how to improve the image of this game …

nieda113

@haints yes i can do tomorrow…..

haints

@haints yes i can do tomorrow…..

Still interested in seeing this, nieda, if you get a chance to post it …

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just to briefly chime in here: the most important thing in regard to image sharpness is the resolution you run games with. A 1440p resolution roughly translates into a 1:1 pixel ratio for Rift/Vive. Running a game with a 1440p res, or ideally 1680p if your PC can handle that, and a little bit of image sharpening in the vorpX menu (don’t overdo that), looks great in most cases.

haints

Just to briefly chime in here: the most important thing in regard to image sharpness is the resolution you run games with. A 1440p resolution roughly translates into a 1:1 pixel ratio for Rift/Vive. Running a game with a 1440p res, or ideally 1680p if your PC can handle that, and a little bit of image sharpening in the vorpX menu (don’t overdo that), looks great in most cases.

Thanks Ralph. What would be a good 4:3 1440 res?

Haints

Earlier in the thread, 1440p was already listed with the ideal 4:3 ratio. Even so, 1920 x 1440 is 1440p @ 4:3 ratio.

Check out the web page called calculateaspectratio.com. You can punch in any setting you like to get a proper ratio as long as your card driver supports using it. Just add https:// to the above address to get there.

Cheers

nieda113

Nvidia global settings:
    anisothrope :16X
    DSR:1.7% 2% 3%
    DSR:33%
    shadercache :on
    MFAA:off
    ———————————-
    Nvidia game settings:
    FXAA:on
    antialiasing:8X
    MfAA:off
    format:4:3
    MSAA:4X
    NVIDIA TXAA:on
    Vsync:off
    MSAA_off
    postprocessong:normal
    Anisotophic: 16X
    Tessalation: normal
    Thats my setting , its by far not comparable with Skyrim or fallout 4 but its the best i can get . I have some mods installed like : corona be gone, Rockstar editor effects.

haints

Haints

Earlier in the thread, 1440p was already listed with the ideal 4:3 ratio. Even so, 1920 x 1440 is 1440p @ 4:3 ratio.

Check out the web page called calculateaspectratio.com. You can punch in any setting you like to get a proper ratio as long as your card driver supports using it. Just add https:// to the above address to get there.

Cheers

Thanks, but when I run the game in 19201440, I get a 16×9 image–I can see this by using edge peak: the left and right sides of the image are cut off in fullvr, which means I assume that my PC is rendering those parts of the image for no reason. This is different than a 4:3 image, where when I use edge peak I can see that very little of the left and right side of the image is being cut off …

haints

Nvidia global settings:
    anisothrope :16X
    DSR:1.7% 2% 3%
    DSR:33%
    shadercache :on
    MFAA:off
    ———————————-
    Nvidia game settings:
    antialiasing:8X
    MfAA:off
    format:4:3
    MSAA:4X
    NVIDIA TXAA:on
    Vsync:off
    MSAA_off
    postprocessong:normal
    Anisotophic: 16X
    Tessalation: normal
    Thats my setting , its by far not comparable with Skyrim or fallout 4 but its the best i can get . I have some mods installed like : corona be gone, Rockstar editor effects.

Thanks nieda! I’ll try those settings. DSR, huh. What video card do you have? I just have a GTX 970.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.