Rift init timed out…

Home Forums Technical Support Rift init timed out…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ppRaistlin
    Participant

Hello,
    first of all, congratulations for this wonderful piece of software. It’s amazing what can be done when bunch of smart people decide to do something.
    Secondly, please apologize for my “far-from-perfect” english. Despite that, I hope that you will understand my problem.

I have had Vorpx since my DK1 and used it flawlessly. When DK2 came out, I waited for the update, like thousand of other people I guess, running (with some difficulties this time I must admit) a few of the DK2 available demos : of course the desk scene but also mainly playing with Half Life VR on steam.
    When VorpX updated I immediatly tried it but, unfortunatly, failed miserably using it with any of my games : Battlefield 3, Bioshock Infinite…
    Always the same error message : “Rift init timed out…”. (Just after that message I usually start the desk scene to see if a problem occurs, just to be sure..but no…everything seems alright : the scene, HMD detection, headtracking, positional tracking are OK).

I have tried so far :
    – two differents USB Port (2.0 and 3.0)
    – Extended mode with and without Rift as primary display
    – with or without Rift alimentation

I have no more ideas…
    Can you help me plz make my vorpx works ?

Thx

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Just to add more details : When used in extended mode, I set the config option : “Use system settings” in Vorpx and “Do not use a profile”

Ralf
    Keymaster

The message you received is given when vorpX is not able to successfully initialize the Oculus SDK, which probably is caused by an issue with the runtime installation.

Please try to (re)install the latest Oculus runtime from the Oculus website. Normally it should have been installed with vorpX, but maybe that failed in your case. Make sure to reboot your PC before and after the installation.

Also please make sure to update the firmware of your DK2 to the version that comes with the latest runtime.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Thanks for the quick answer Ralf. I am actually at work but will try that as soon as I’m back at home. The DK2 firmware is already updated.
    I am a little worried as the Desk scene and Half Life 2 are working flawlessly. I am wondering if this is compatible with the possible cause of a bad runtime installation ? 🙁

Ralf
    Keymaster

One other thing I didn’t think of: You need the latest vorpX version (0.71) for the DK2, maybe the auto update failed in your case. You can manually update by using your web installer. If you didn’t keep a copy of it, please send a mail to support |at| vorpx com.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

No no I m pretty sure I have the latest version. I’ve clearly seen (with a big smile on my face) the update :). Nevertheless, to be sure I can give you the executable size.
    I have a logitech mouse with its related logitech driver. Do you think that it can cause incompatibilty with Vorpx ? (again why are HL2 and desk scene working anyway)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to reinstall the runtime in that case, including the reboots. Not sure what else to recommend unfortunately. vorpX really doesn’t do anything special besides initializing the SDK with the according init call. If that fails, the error you get is displayed.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Ok Ralf. After dealing with real life and doing few tests, I’m back with good news.
    I have done what you suggested but it doesn’t solve my problem.

I finally decided to remove all my USB stuff and unnecessary apps running in background of my Pc and find the culprit !
    It was a tiny useful firewall called “Windows 7 firewall control”. Vorpx was authorized but, I don t know why, even in that case, this firewall only blocks the action of VorpX !! (it has no antivirus action so it s a mystery why…)

Well now it s working. I hope that my experience helps other users.
    Thanks for your help and time.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Glad you solved it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.