Mar 28, 2021 at 7:07pm #201506RalfKeymaster
vorpX 21.2.0 will be out either shortly after Easter, or – maybe – even before if all goes well, so here’s the usual preview of what to expect. There are still a few things open, this is what’s certain as of today:
- OpenXR support added (beta): this is the big addition this time, making vorpX’s technical fundament future proof for the next few years to come. OpenXR is the upcoming industry wide VR API that will – or at least is supposed to – eventually superseed the current vendor specific APIs from Oculus, Valve and Microsoft. OpenXR is recommended now for WMR headsets, works better with vorpX than WMR over SteamVR. For Oculus there isn’t much of a difference, so you can stick to Oculus or try OpenXR if you want. Valve’s OpenXR implementation isn’t quite ready yet (e.g. no 32bit), so for native SteamVR headsets like Index/Vive/Pimax stick to SteamVR for the time being.
- Improved hooking timing/safety: fixes some DX12 games not hooking anymore since Microsoft split the d3d12.dll into two separate DLLs a few weeks ago. Also improves hooking reliability with some games that initialize DirectX very early in their launch process.
- vorpX can now grab the icon of the Windows hardware cursor instead of showing a custom vorpX cursor in the headset in games that use the Windows hardware cursor. Improves playability of affected games with context sensitive cursors. If you still encounter games that show the vorpX cursor instead, let me know. I can’t entirely rule out that there may be some unusual cursor format that the grab routine doesn’t handle yet.
- Custom background images can now be applied in immersive screen mode, not just as background scene in cinema mode as before.
- Improved immersive screen size/distance default and range. The default values now provide a more natural world scale at typical game FOVs while at the same time you can adjust the screen size/distance even more to your own liking than before.
- Improved EdgePeek scale behavior: factors in the current user set screen scale/distance in a better way.
- Catched a few more edge cases where blocking game mouse movement/clicks didn’t work while navigating the vorpX menu.
- New shader authoring option: shaders can be switched between normal/special based on frame stats, e.g. the number of draw calls. Useful for treating shaders differently during gameplay vs. in menu screens.
- User profile comments are now displayed in the top left corner of the game window instead of just as tooltip in the config app.
- User profile authors can comfortably edit profile comments and dedicated start messages in the config app instead of just adding a comment on upload.
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:40pm #201507RJK_ParticipantMar 28, 2021 at 8:37pm #201508DaggettParticipant
- Fixed an edge case where the DX11 G3D CPU workload optimizations introduced in the last vorpX version caused some flickering objects (e.g. Batman: Arkham Knight).
- Fixed an issue that could prevent the Steam version of FarCry 3 from getting hooked.
- Regression fixed where vorpX could lose connection to the headset after ALT+TAB or minimizing in DX10/11/12 games.
- Bound mouse button hotkeys for buttons 4/5 (X1/X2) work again.
- Nier: Automata stereo loss after a few frames fixed.
- Red Dead Redemption II: better menu detection, buttons now properly scaled.
- Red Dead Redemption II: occasional depth flicker fixed.
- Quake II (probably some other OpenGL games too) crashed on start.
- Death Stranding hook didn’t work anymore after a recent DX12 related Windows update.
- The infamous Far Cry 4 black screen after intro issue that some of you encountered should finally be gone.
- Arma III could crash when launched in fullscreen mode
- Mass Effect: Andromeda: shader fixes (unwanted temporal blur on some objects)
- Metro Redux: FOV etc. .ini changes now working with the Epic Store version
Thanks a lot for the great follow up and for giving us some visibility in advance !!!Mar 28, 2021 at 9:46pm #201510Michelangel0Participant
Great update features.
I was about to mention to have a better detail of the current profile being used (because sometimes we need to create a copy of the .exe file to run a custom one).
so this feature will improve it:
– User profile comments are now displayed in the top left corner of the game window instead of just as tooltip in the config app.Mar 28, 2021 at 11:03pm #201512moadepthParticipant
Hi Ralf thanks for the work,
here is a new feature idea you may interested in coz it could attract a lot of crowd and silence the criticts ;) OK everybody knows the youtubers playing games with Vorpx but in a 2d view and could not really transfer the feeling of being vorped.
I know vorpx can put out SBS in generic mode but thats not practicable for playing on HMD. Maybe you could open doors into this way …. just an idea dont feel stressed.Mar 29, 2021 at 5:54am #201514jjenssonParticipant
Much appreciated, Ralf. My Quest 2 looks forward to play some vorpexed titles (was busy with DrBeef’s Half-Life port the last weeks…).
@moadepth – Great idea, IMO.Mar 29, 2021 at 6:12am #201516
Good stuff. Are you withholding the new profiles reveal until release date?Mar 29, 2021 at 8:03am #201517steph12Participant
nice to see that vorpx keeps heading to the future proofing ^^
i’m too noob to know what brings openXR to the table for vorpx but this update seems really good !Mar 29, 2021 at 10:28pm #201531OisinParticipant
Thanks for the updates.Mar 30, 2021 at 3:32am #201536
I always get nervous when I see changes to a game I’m currently enjoying. :) In this case andromeda.
Is there a way (or strategy) to revert back to the previous version, if the updates introduce new bugs? I’ve found ME:A flawless except for the scanning (lack of 3d). Haven’t seen these artifacts you mention, so I’m hoping it doesn’t break anything for me.Mar 30, 2021 at 3:33am #201537wfx_maliceParticipant
Good to hear you guys are working hard. Any news on new titles being supported?Mar 30, 2021 at 4:58am #201539RalfKeymaster
@ dborosev: I might already have uploaded the fixed profile to the cloud, can’t remember currrently. If you downloaded it manually recently, you may not see the issue anymore. Should be easy enough to spot with G3D enabled otherwise. Pretty much any scrubs/bushes look completely out of whack.Mar 30, 2021 at 6:31am #201541
Ah… that old bug in G3D. I’ve been playing in Z3D so I hadn’t noticed. Z3D is amazing for this game btw. Smooth as silk.
Got my bro into VorpX as well, so he should be requesting a copy soon if he hasn’t already.Mar 30, 2021 at 6:12pm #201556dellrifter22Participant
Some cool stuff! Looking forward to it.Apr 2, 2021 at 4:54pm #201628LaserParticipant
Good timing, just got a new reverb g2 since my “old” one died. The cursor thing is small but important update. Any chance to get the update ready this weekend? :)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.