vorpX – Pre-Release Thread

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX – Pre-Release Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Arni1984
    Participant

I think this question, you can answer right now:
    How will the WINDOWS in RIFT? In particular, a desk and so on …
    Thank you.

Ralf
    Keymaster

A desktop mode is planned and *might* get integrated in future versions. I have something running in a test app outside of vorpX, but that will not make it into the first release, games are top priority right now.

Due to its limited resolution the Rift isn’t that well suited for working on the desktop anyway, that is really more a gimmick than anything else.

Arni1984
    Participant

Say! Perhaps, it will change the display resolution in the game settings? Probability of crash? And what is the optimal resolution to be put in the game for normal VorpX

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ralf,

The fact that Doom 3 bfg is not supported yet is kind of strange. I was wondering if you have tested the VorpX drivers with a 7 inch screen. I believe it now needs to render extra data on the right side of the right eye and left side of the left eye. Have you tested this in VorpX yet? Thanks and looking forward to gaming with VorpX soon!

mane43
    Participant

hey can u let us know when ur rift is shipped and when u get it to give those of us who ordered one some kind of heads up on when ours might be shipped since u where a day one backer. the lack of info from oculus on the shipping schedule is driving my crazy.. O steam having a sale on farcry 3 going to pick it up but will wait to play it till I know whether I can play it in vr I know it going to bring back that WOW feeling back in games again

Ralf
    Keymaster

The good news: I backed the Kickstarter on day one. So if all goes well, I should get my Rift quite early. It has to be shipped to Europe though.

The bad news: I’m snowboarding in the Alps this week… But back at work next monday.

3dRat
    Participant

The good news: I backed the Kickstarter on day one. So if all goes well, I should get my Rift quite early. It has to be shipped to Europe though. The bad news: I’m snowboarding in the Alps this week… But back at work next monday.

please,… please, take care of yourself, dont make risky things in the snow just to impress a girl.. could you?  we need in good shape next weeks…  :)

Arni1984
    Participant

Ralf писал:
    Хорошая новость: я поддержал Kickstarter в один день. Таким образом, если все пойдет хорошо, я должен получить мой Rift довольно рано. Он должен быть отправлен в Европу, хотя. Плохая новость: я сноуборде в Альпах на этой неделе … Но вернемся на работу в следующий понедельник.

Пожалуйста … пожалуйста, берегите себя, не делают рискованные вещи в снег просто произвести впечатление на девушку .. ты мог? мы нуждаемся в хорошей форме следующей недели … :)

Do not play with fire Ralf! That is, I wanted to say – with the snow … We need you now more than all the girls in the world! Set aside extreme! Please …

Arni1984
    Participant

I apologize Ralf! Translator summed … I can not understand how you edit a post? What is BBCodes???

Ralf
    Keymaster

Editing gets disabled after 15 minutes or so, BBCodes are a way to format text in many forums. If you haven’t missed them until now, you can most likely forget about them.

Regarding me being cautious while snowboarding, I’ll see what I can do. Without any risk at all it isn’t much fun unfortunately. :-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wait, if he got hurt he’d have more time off his feet and on the computer ;) jk

Riot
    Participant

Did you order one of the self-assembly devkits that ship even earlier?

brad
    Participant

I am very excited about your driver.  A few questions if I could.

You mention your stereo driver’s technique only adds ~10% overhead.  I am not clear if you mean 10% over a single eye’s resolution (640×800) if you were to simply output that to a monoscopic screen or if you mean 10% over what would be the horsepower needed to output the resolution (1280×800) taken up by both eyes.  In other words should I expect performance equal to a 10% hit to my favorite game played at 640×800 on a regular screen or that same game at 1280×800?

These next questions are a bit of a long shot.  Will your diver be able to correct for distortion on games older than dx9?  Will it have a mode where it output monoscopic to older games even if it can’t correct for distortion?  (Same image side-by-side 2x640x800)  Can tracker info be output as 2-DoF simple mouse emulation for use in older games.  I know FreePIE did this for the original Hillcrest tracker but I’m not sure if they’ll be updating it for the new one.

Either way, barring outright deceit, I’m pretty much sold.  I look forward to buying and using your driver.  Have fun snowboarding!  I’m jealous!

Thanks, Brad.

Jademalo
    Participant

I am very excited about your driver. A few questions if I could. You mention your stereo driver’s technique only adds ~10% overhead. I am not clear if you mean 10% over a single eye’s resolution (640×800) if you were to simply output that to a monoscopic screen or if you mean 10% over what would be the horsepower needed to output the resolution (1280×800) taken up by both eyes. In other words should I expect performance equal to a 10% hit to my favorite game played at 640×800 on a regular screen or that same game at 1280×800?

By overhead, he means performance. As in, to generate a stereoscopic image, it only takes 10% more GPU power to run at the same speed as without 3D. Standard methods render the image twice, so take nearly double the power.

Arni1984
    Participant

Ralf! You can add a zoom function VorpX subtitles and HUD? I understand that I want too much … But in Russia, where I write to you, in some games only translate subtitles. I think this is true of many countries where English is not the native language …
    Video, which clearly shows that HUD and subtitles will be a problem:

Although to be honest, I expected it would be much worse :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!