The Emulator Topic

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings The Emulator Topic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    namine207
    Participant

Hey guys! So after a lot of messing with emulators to get VorpX working, I decided to write a quick guide for anyone who wants to play emulated games in the Rift! So far, I’ve only managed to get three emulators working, but if anyone finds out how to do another emulator, I’ll gladly add it to this post and give them credit!

Alrighty, here we go!

Nintendo 64 (Via Project64, many thanks to Ralf on this one!):

1. Download Project64 1.6. For some reason, 2.0 doesn’t seem to like VorpX.
    2. Download Rice’s Video Plugin from here (http://files.emulation64.fr/Plugins/VID_Mudlord_RiceVideoSetup_6-1-4.zip)
    3. Extract the files inside to the [Project64 1.6 Installation]/Plugin/ folder.
    4. Run Project64 with VorpX control open and set Mudlord’s Rice Video Build 6.1.3 – DX9 as your graphics plugin. Feel free to make any changes in the plugin’s configuration (1280 x 800 resolution, etc, etc.)
    5. Run the desired rom! You will get a warning sometime during this guide that tracking isn’t functioning. This is true, and for now, all you’ll have is that awesome Oculus vision! However, in the next VorpX update, we’ll have KeyMapping, so you can very easily map head movements to keys, like Up, Down, Left, and Right!

Note: If it still doesn’t work, you may have to put BGMlib.dll into the same directory as Project64.exe. I used the BGMlib.dll from the 2.0 installation, inside plugins/gfx/, but I don’t think it should matter.

PS2 (Via PCSX2):

1. Install PCSX2 0.9.6.
    2. Download any roms, bios files, etc. to get the emulator working properly, and run it with VorpX control open.
    3. Set the graphics plugin to GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00, [Whatever type of SSE your processor is. SSE2 is probably the safest if you don’t know, but test it out and see.])
    4. Open the configuration and change the following things:
    Resolution: 1280×800 60Hz
    Renderer: Direct3D9 (Software)
    Shader: Pixel Shader 3.0 (2.0 probably works as well, haven’t tested it yet)
    Interlacing: None
    5. Click okay and run the iso! Same deal as with PJ64, it won’t head track, but with keymapping coming soon, we’ll be able to map head movements to keys!

NOTE: This setup is for 0.9.6, but theoretically, you can apply it to any later version. You just have to take the 0.9.6 graphics plugins and put them into the plugins folders for 0.9.7, 8, and most likely 1.0. It seems the later versions took out a lot of the options that help VorpX recognize the emulated game.

Gamecube (Via Dolphin, with help from Ralf and Marulu):

1. Download and install Dolphin 4.0
    2. Edit the video plugin configuration so that it’s using the Direct3D9 backend. (Tested it with Direct3D 11, but it didn’t take.)
    3. Change fullscreen resolution to 1280 x 800, v-sync, hide mouse cursor, use fullscreen. Under enhancements, scaled EFB copy, widescreen hack, and under advanced, freelook.
    4. Start the iso! If you want to look around without keymapping, you do have the freelook feature enabled, which will allow you to look around by right clicking, and then looking around with the rift. But based on past experience, it moves really fast and doesn’t line up with your head movements particularly well, so it’s kind of meh…

So that’s it! If you have any problems setting these up, let me know, and I’ll give you suggestions to fix them! I hope to see more emulators with rift support soon, as they definitely can help fill the rift library with new VR Classics. :3

Dude, awesome! Thanks so much for the help with this. I had some games for the PS2 I wanted to try, and now since it’s Oculus Rift compatible, I got no reason not too!

So, I tried Goldeneye with this, and it works! While some of the cutscenes were flashy, it’s probably a problem with the emulator itself. One final note, when I used that Rice video plugin, I had to get a newer .dll for it to work.

Now, to try the other ones!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thumbs up Bro.. this is good for gamers out there. Will check on this if this works on some of the game I love to play.

grumdark
    Participant

actually many people already did this perfectly dk2 and virtual desktop program with head tracking in large virtual screen.

but thanks for the info with vorpx …

mpmo
    Participant

wait so ps2 games work in 3d??? does it still work??

morbidexpression
    Participant

What would be the advantage of running this as opposed to Dolphin VR or regular Dolphin in SBS mode and Bigscreen?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!