Sugg: Use Vive wand/Rift touch as mouse pointer

Home Forums General vorpX Discussion Sugg: Use Vive wand/Rift touch as mouse pointer

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ovo 5 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ovo

The trackpad is a bit cumbersome to use as a mouse in menus, so it’d be nice if the Vive controller motion could be used to move the mouse around. It would be mapped to translation on vertical plane or rotation, I don’t know what would be best. There would be an action to activate it, that we would bind to one of the buttons.Something like this…
    It would also let us free up the trackpad currently used for mouse, for mapping more keys and stuff.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That will definitely happen, I just can’t say when yet.

ji3200

it would be awesome if Touch and Vive controller motion sensor works in game just like using Nintendo Wii controller mod. I was hoping you would add those feature on the last update. Anyway thanks for supporting.

Ralf
    Keymaster

While this is useful in menus, inventory screens etc., it doesn’t really make such sense during actual gameplay in the majority of games, hence it’s not highest prority. Providing a controller mode that works well during actual gameplay was – I believe for obvious reasons – more important.

Ovo

While this is useful in menus, inventory screens etc., it doesn’t really make such sense during actual gameplay in the majority of games

Well, even as camera control, it will be a lot more comfortable than swiping the trackpad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That was one of the very first things I did with the Vive wands. My personal feelings as well as tester’s feedback in the end was largely negative about it though, so it was ditched.

The thing is that you most of the time move/rotate the controllers one way or the other while you are playing, but also most of the time you don’t actually want that translated into camera rotation in the game.

If you have one controller that works this way during normal gameplay, you have to hold it very still most of the time just for the sake of being able to rotate the camera with your wrist instead of your thumb. Far more lost than gained, since you aren’t able to fake sword swings or wielding a gun anymore with that controller without causing unwanted camera movement.

This was tested heavily, and in the end there were a lot more reasons not to do it than to do it.

Ovo

My idea was to only activate it when pressing some button like a grip, or even on trackpad touch, which I thought would avoid unwanted movements. Is it what you tested?

> you aren’t able to fake sword swings or wielding a gun anymore
    Hm, ok, I don’t do that, but controller movement could be on the secondary hand, letting you fake wielding with your main one; movement is set on the left hand in most games anyway. While for menu navigation there could be a (stand-alone) mouse pointer mode for the main hand, auto activated when in edge peek mode?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That was also done as a kind of “aim-mode” during testing, and eventually not implemeted since testers found it mostly disorienting. Personally I found it quite neat, but on the other hand it doesn’t add that much, so in the end the disorientation argument won. It also complicates button mapping. One button less for other things.

There was a thread here about exactly that a few days ago where I asked whether someone maybe wants that as an option. There were only three answers in favor of it. With you that makes four. You may believe it’s great, but honestly, twisting your wrist in the end is not really better than using your thumb, it’s just different. Maybe that option will come, maybe not.

As said above, it makes sense for menus, inventory screens etc. and will come for that eventually, probably linked to EdgePeek like you suggest.

Ovo

Right, I got carried away. Hand-controlling the cursor in edge peek (and virtual cinema) is what matters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.