1080 Ti is a dramatic improvement over 1080

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion 1080 Ti is a dramatic improvement over 1080

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chopin
    Participant

It was a while before I was finally able to get my hands on the 1080 Ti, but my god, I’m getting nearly 50% better framerates as compared to the 1080. Before I was having to play Skyrim on medium with the shadows turned down, but now I’m able to play it on high @ 1600×1200 with 2x internal resolution, an unbelievable improvement.

By the way Ralf, if you’re seeing this, you should really have vorpx default to fluidsync = OFF for Skyrim, it’s not possible to get good framerates with it enabled. Also, I was having severe issues where vorpx was detecting all dx9 games as having a render area of 1×1 until I completely uninstalled Nvidia 3D Vision. You might want to explicitly include that suggestion somewhere, too, because I think your basic troubleshooting only suggests temporarily disabling the driver or something.

steph12
    Participant

the problem i get with my gtx 1080 is that whenever i used vorpx to play a supported game, my gpu is always used between 40% and 70% it is never used at its full power, let alone my i7 5820k @ 4.5 ghz who is barely used.

i dont know why but vorpx dont want to use my full pc power thus i’m getting bad fps on almost every game, for example i have almost the same fps in skyrim on low/medium and high and whatever the resolution i’m using, i mean sure i get better fps on low setting with low resolution but it’s not groundbreaking, maybe 10fps more at best….

something is wrong.

steph12
    Participant

so what gpu/cpu usage are you getting with your gtx 1080 ti ?

Chopin
    Participant

steph12, my i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz never went over 50% usage and often dropped much lower than that, and my 1080 Ti maxed out at 80% usage but probably averaged something like 65%. Few games will max out either your CPU or GPU, and with VR in particular, I think usage averages are supposed to be lower than you’d normally get for whatever reason (although this doesn’t mean that better hardware won’t give you better performance, it obviously does).

On the 1080 I had before I replaced it with the Ti, I was able to get a steady 90fps on medium settings with the shadows on low @ 1600×1200 with an internal resolution of 1.5. Note, though, that my framerates were terrible until I disabled fluidsync, as mentioned above.

I’d also suggest updating your nvidia drivers if you haven’t done that already.

Ovo
    Participant

I have a 1080 Ti + Ryzen 1800X, I turned off FluidSync, yet I can’t run smoothly at 1600×1200 with mid settings. :(
    I have a few mods installed though, I should try without.

Chopin
    Participant

Really? Damn, that’s odd, I can get decent framerates even on ultra, 90 in many places and it rarely drops below 50. I guess a CPU bottleneck is a possibility, but the 1800X is only slightly less powerful than the Intel flagship at the worst (at least in terms of gaming benchmarks), so it’d be surprising if that were the case. Could it be that Vorpx is poorly optimized for AMD architecture or something? How are your Nvidia settings? You don’t have AA cranked, do you?

Ovo
    Participant

How are your Nvidia settings? You don’t have AA cranked, do you?

No, all default settings, no AA. 1x internal resolution in VorpX and 1.4 application supersampling from SteamVR but I don’t think it applies to VorpX.
    I’ve disable graphical mods, no help.

What’s your performance in Markarth? It’s my benchmark. I can get 90 fps in dungeons with mid settings but markarth is reprojection heavy, even on low.

Chopin
    Participant

Dunno, haven’t been there yet. I’ll make my way there and let you know, I’m curious myself.

Jonny_Quest
    Participant

I have a 1080 Ti + Ryzen 1800X, I turned off FluidSync, yet I can’t run smoothly at 1600×1200 with mid settings. 🙁
    I have a few mods installed though, I should try without.

You probaly getting bad performance because AMD chips, even Ryzen have bad draw calls performance. You can read more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xeflc/ryzen_dx11dx12_draw_call_performance/. Unfortunately, AMD cpu is a bad choice for VR.

steph12
    Participant

vorpx is nice cause can play many games in VR, but performance is horrible. our hardware is not at fault, it’s software related.

NipOc
    Participant

Skyrim is mainly cpu bound, the special edition is slightly more gpu dependent.
    If you get low gpu usage its probably because the cpu isn’t powerful enough (even if the cpu usage is low).
    Skyrim is poorly optimized, it can’t use multi-core cpu’s efficiently.

Higher resolutions cause more gpu usage, higher shadow resolutions more cpu usage and the rest has no effect at all.

Fluidsync locks the fps to 45, for better asynctimewarp (frame reprojection). It is activated by default, because most people don’t get high fps in skyrim.

Michelangel0
    Participant

I’m playing SkyrimSE @1920×1440 and works amazing with VorpX
    (I7 + EVGA 1080 ftw + ram 16gb + Windows 10 + HDR)

Remember to use fast drivers, I’ll recommend not the latest ones 382.05 but previous 378.92 and do not use any AA, and set the power management mode to maximum performance and textures in performance mode.

chukovskiy
    Participant

Old Skyrim in G3D works really fine, it seems it’s not possible to drop FPS below 45. (I have never seen FPS above 45/45 though, OR CV1). Resolution I used is 2000×1600+2xMSAA. It gives incredibly addictive image quality, but heavy textures cause memory issues/ctd pretty fast, especially under Win10 where VRAM is also limited.
    And I must say, looking closely at well-textured things (clothes on NPC, clutter, wood logs, everything) is so cool that I can’t turn back. So CTD’s became a real problem here. Probably I should install Win7 to unlock VRAM and see what happens.

Compared to the Oldrim’s image SSE’s TAA is pure garbage. Upscaling to mentioned 2000×1600 with no AA looks good but hardly ever hits 30 fps outside (maybe I’ll figure something out though). But SSE is stable and that’s a big advantage.

Tried SSE with no G3D but immersion loss is cathastrophic.

Hope this is helpful, hope someone will share their thoughts.
    P.S. spec: 4790K/MSI 1080ti “gaming edition” or whatever it is called.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!