200 degree fov pimax 8k and VorpX?

Homepage Forums Technical Support 200 degree fov pimax 8k and VorpX?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    broksampson
    Participant

This pimax 8k 200 degree fov steamvr headset will be in peoples hands starting two months from now. Will vorpx work?

Karlor
    Participant

This is the first of these off brand headsets that got my ears to perk up. It looks like a much better experience visually both in resolution and in the peripheral. I would love to try one out. It seems like running two 4k screens would be a lot for any rig to handle and most games might not even run at any usable frame rate. But its definitely cool and if you’ve got a Vive they say you just need the headset and that’s super cool.

I think you may be able to get it to run with vorpx if the headset does indeed run on the steamvr platform. Steam VR more or less in a complicated way just turns your head set and stuff “ON” and then vorpx hooks into the game. So just maybe if this Pimax thing runs on SteamVR then I don’t think vorpx would know the difference and int the words of Tod Howard “just work”. Now sorting out resolutions to force the games into and what graphic settings to use to get usable frame rates would vary widely but still serviceable to those who tinker. It does look like a cool headset.

Ralf
    Keymaster

IMPORTANT: Take everything below with a grain of salt. At this point it’s pure speculation.

Since the Pimax uses SteamVR, technically it should work.

The major caveat is the 200° FOV. From what I gathered for native apps that will be done by using two distinct left/right view frustums with ~140° per eye FOV, which won’t be possible in most cases for vorpX.

As a fallback they seem to have a 2D image scaling technique to ‘upscale’ a lower FOV to 200°. That however sounds like something you absolutely don’t want to try as it almost certainly will introduce visible distortion towards the edges of the image. The very first iterations of vorpX did something similar to enhance FOV. It was the worst idea that made its way into vorpX ever and was later removed. I don’t expect the Pimax way of doing this being any better.

Long story short, the Pimax 8K almost certainly will work with vorpX. But almost as certainly not with the full 200° FOV that are theoretically possible with the device. The theoretical maximum with a symmetrical view frustum is 180°. 150°-160° sound more sensible for vorpX considering performance, provided games allow to set the FOV as high as that. That would still be a major improvement over current headsets.

broksampson
    Participant

Would full field of view work using edge perk mode? Where the in game fov can remain normal, but the edge peek screen can be made larger? By the way Ralf, off topic but why is playing games in edge peek vs using a dark background give me better frame times by a few ms, which is really a good boost.

Ralf
    Keymaster

EdgePeek and cinema mode will *probably* work just fine, but I can’t really say anything concrete without the actual device. So take this also with a grain of salt.

John1080gtx
    Participant

IMPORTANT: Take everything below with a grain of salt. At this point it’s pure speculation.

Since the Pimax uses SteamVR, technically it should work.

The major caveat is the 200° FOV. From what I gathered for native apps that will be done by using two distinct left/right view frustums with ~140° per eye FOV, which won’t be possible in most cases for vorpX.

As a fallback they seem to have a 2D image scaling technique to ‘upscale’ a lower FOV to 200°. That however sounds like something you absolutely don’t want to try as it almost certainly will introduce visible distortion towards the edges of the image. The very first iterations of vorpX did something similar to enhance FOV. It was the worst idea that made its way into vorpX ever and was later removed. I don’t expect the Pimax way of doing this being any better.

Long story short, the Pimax 8K almost certainly will work with vorpX. But almost as certainly not with the full 200° FOV that are theoretically possible with the device. The theoretical maximum with a symmetrical view frustum is 180°. 150°-160° sound more sensible for vorpX considering performance, provided games allow to set the FOV as high as that. That would still be a major improvement over current headsets.

So does that mean you will be updating vorpx to work with the pimax8k at its 200 degree fov? And not 150 or 160..? And native 200 not stretching? Thanks.

broksampson
    Participant

I don’t mean what fov the game vorpx is running will be, I mean will vorpx it self use the entire fov?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can’t really say anything more concrete before I actually have a device, sorry guys.

John1080gtx
    Participant

Sorry to beat a dead horse but did you order one off the Kickstarter?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!