4090 Impressions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion 4090 Impressions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

TLDR: If you already have a 3080Ti or better, consider holding out for the 4090Ti.

The 4090 is *almost* good enough in VR (and vorpX) to justify the MSRP (definitely not scalper prices.) In extremely poorly-optimized titles (F04vr, I’m looking at you!) the difference is massive (Small FOV 60hz to Normal FOV 75hz!) In titles that already ran well, the difference is less, or at least far less important (TWDS&S will run Wide FOV, 150% SS, 90hz/90fps rock-solid, but as it already ran fantastic on the 3080Ti it just isn’t a big deal.) LoneEcho 2 also got a great uplift (small FOV 60hz everything set to low or mid, to Normal FOV 60hz with a number of options cranked up.)

In vorpX titles I gained the expected performance uplift as well (FO3 at 4800×3000 G3D 60hz? Anyone? Anyone? Man it looks good!) So the raw performance of the card does seem to be translating well to performance through vorpX as well (I’m having one issue, but that’s specific to the stand-alone Cyberpunk mod, not vorpX as a whole.)

At $999 it would be a no-brainer, but at $1600+? IMHO it’s just not quite enough bang for the buck.

Smoils
    Participant

How strong is smell of burnt plastic?

Ralf
    Keymaster

When I look at the new official prices, I can‘t help but think that it wasn’t exactly the best collective idea in history to show GPU vendors during the chip crisis what insane prices their customers are willing to pay for a GPU. Now they know, they act accordingly, and they won‘t back down again for sure for the foreseeable future.

Laser
    Participant

Great performance on that card, unfortunately after that goes downhill. Cheapest 4090 in my region is 1999€, the card is power hungry, hot and big. Even if I can afford it, no way im supporting these prices from mr. leatherjacket man. I don´t even want to know what 4090ti is going to be, over 2500€?

7900XTX reference is supposed to be something like 15% slower on raster (won´t be using raytracing anyway with vr) and AIB models should be really close to 4090 performance for 2/3 of the price, thats my pick if I decide to go for this insanity. Or wait next year for 7950XTX

RJK_
    Participant

I run FO3 in 4400×3240 on a 1080ti without issues. Just to mention ..

Destroy
    Participant

Yup, can confirm, 4090 works well in all VorpX titles I’ve tried except Cyberpunk. Not sure if its the mod or game but quickly rotating the viewpoint really hurts ones eyes and brain.

brown66
    Participant

Yup, can confirm, 4090 works well in all VorpX titles I’ve tried except Cyberpunk. Not sure if its the mod or game but quickly rotating the viewpoint really hurts ones eyes and brain.

Try this.

Go to Display Settings, Graphics, Change Default Graphics Settings and turn off the Hardware/Accelerated GPU Sheduling option (you will need to restart your computer).

brown66
    Participant

How strong is smell of burnt plastic?

Much less than the smell when I fart.

Jokes aside, watch this video.

In a universe of possibly more than 100,000 RTX 4090s already sold, perhaps there is one burnt connector for some reason other than the not well-inserted connectors, but the remaining cases that we know of (apparently around 50), the problem is due to poorly inserted connectors. In fact, older people with some experience in electricity had already been saying that the problem was poorly inserted connectors, but while GamerNexus didn’t discover this and showed it on YouTube, few believed it.

So, for those who don’t want to buy an RTX 4090, the excuse of burning connectors is no longer valid.

moarveer
    Participant

I’m tempted to get a Radeon RX 7900 XTX, if they perform like a 4080 at $1000 it would be a good option, but I wonder how well do ATI cards work with Vorpx?

markus3776
    Participant

I’ve a RX 6900 XT. It works great with vorpx.

moarveer
    Participant

Nice to hear!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only real drawback of using an AMD card is that you can’t easily add custom resolutions higher than your monitor res like nVidia allows. Always strikes me as fairly odd that AMD doesn’t have a similar function in their dirvers.

Not really an issue with a 4K monitor, but if you happen to have a 1080p monitor that’s a bit annoying. In that case you are limited to a handful of predefined 16:9 custom resolutions (‘Virtual Super Resolution’) that are always available.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!