7 Days to Die: inverted head tracking Y position

Homepage Forums Technical Support 7 Days to Die: inverted head tracking Y position

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JDB
    Participant

Dear community,
    I’ve have been wanting to use VORPX to play 7 dyas to die in VR.
    I enabled head tracking, and besides buddy shadows it seems fine (except for tweaks to sensitivity).
    Unfortunately, the Y position of the camera is inverted, so when I physically raise my head, my camera moves down. How can I invert this?
    Note: inverting the mouse Y setting doesn’t solve it, since my head Y rotation is perfectly fine. The problem lies with an inverted Y position.
    Also note: I am aware 7 Days to Die is an unsupported game, I am willing to make the effort to try anyways.
    Thank you for your help in advance,
    ~ Julius

JDB
    Participant

Hello, just to clear up phrasing. By “Y position” I mean my headsets pitch.
    Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can change tracking sensitivity and axis direction on the head tracking page of the menu.

JDB
    Participant

Hi Ralf, unfortunately those settings didn’t work.
    They are the ones I tried to change before posting.
    Is there no way that you know, that allows me to invert the camera up down movement in any way?
    Some hidden toggle or something.
    It is all that is needed to make the game playable :)
    Forwards and backwards, and side to side head movement is just perfect though.
    I even tried OpenTrack but 7 days to die doesn’t support IRTrack in the first place since its not that kind of game.
    Hope to hear back,
    ~ Julius

JDB
    Participant

I am just reposting my reply as a reply.
    Hi Ralf, unfortunately those settings didn’t work.
    They are the ones I tried to change before posting.
    Is there no way that you know, that allows me to invert the camera up down movement in any way?
    Some hidden toggle or something.
    It is all that is needed to make the game playable :)
    Forwards and backwards, and side to side head movement is just perfect though.
    I even tried OpenTrack but 7 days to die doesn’t support IRTrack in the first place since its not that kind of game.
    Good to note: 7 days to die is made with Unity version 2020.3
    Hope to hear back,
    ~ Julius

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you sure that head tracking does anything at all? Sometimes the brain may trick one into thinking it’s inverted although it actually doesn’t do anything. If mouse base tracking is actually working at all, either changing the mouse invert setting in the game or the tracking invert setting in vorpX must have an effect too.

Only other (rather unlikely) issue I could think of is that maybe some input/mouse related utility gets in the way. That’s a long shot though. Still worth a try to check that if you happen to use any mouse related tool. Gaming mice for example may come with stuff like that.

JDB
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    I don’t have any mouse software, although I do use Virtual Desktop which ofc does it’s own cursor things.
    It’s hard to explain,
    but I assume by enabling head tracking, VorpX does some memory scan to hook into the camera.
    The scan works since I can move the camera with 6DOF, I can even clip through the ground if I go to extremes. The only issue is that the scan somehow got the up down axis of the camera itself (not yaw, pitch, roll, my bad) wrong. So physically leaning left, right, forward and back works. Looking around works too.
    It’s just that it got the vertical camera movement (i.e. standing up, sitting down) inverted.
    Is there any way I can invert the vertical movement of the camera, by affecting how the memory scan writes to the Unity camera’s position?
    It’s feels like such a small tweak, it must be possible.
    I would even delve into “modding” if need be, but I just wouldn’t know where to start.
    Any advice would be much much appreciated.
    ~ Julius

Ralf
    Keymaster

Ah, I see. Unlikely that memory scanner tracking works correctly in a user profile. Memory scanner settings are *very* game depependent. There is a certain chance that memory scanner settings may work between games, hence there is an option to keep them when creating a user profile, but that’s just not very likely.

Stick to mouse based tracking then and generally only assume memory scanner tracking to work correctly in the official profiles that it was set up for originally.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!