A couple Cyberpunk Issues

Homepage Forums Technical Support A couple Cyberpunk Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I have updated to a 3080 Ti (thanks to Micro Center actually selling GPUs occasionally at MSRP on a walk-in only basis, 1 per household. No way was I going to give a scalper even a cent, so I waited.)

I am 95% of the way to having Cyberpunk working at 4K, “Performance Mode” DLSS, Ultra Ray Tracing!, 72Hz 36fps. It all works and looks amazing. However, like many modern Z3D games, I may end up playing it in cinema mode due to the increased clarity; spreading even 3840×2160 pixels across my HMD in full VR mode just isn’t quite enough for excellent sharpness. It’s close, but not quite there.

Anyway, I have issues with the GUI. I did a full reset of the profile before I tried getting it setup correctly, so I started with a clean vorpX slate, but even at that, in VR mode any Xbox controller shortcut shown on the screen flickers several times a second between the Xbox and Keyboard shortcut for that action. This makes it very hard to see what controller input is expected for an action. Also, dialog subtitles and a variety of other text does not match up with the field which is supposed to be behind it, making it hard to read. I’ve played with a number of settings but haven’t found a solution to either of these issues.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That happens because vorpX emulates a mouse for head tracking in CP2007. When you play with a gamepad the game gets confused whether a gamepad or mouse/kb is used und thus switches between the both help overlays. A handful of games let’s you pick the help overlay to display manually, but I don’t think CP2077 is among them.

The only way to avoid that in case of CP2077 would be to enable the gamepad override in the vorpX menu and then configure vorpX’s gamepad > mouse/kb emulator to your liking. Normally that’s just meant for games that can’t handle simultaneous mouse and gamepad input at all though, so my recommendation would be to live with the glitch instead. If possible, native gamepad input is always preferable.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate you taking time to respond. That makes perfect sense.

Possibly I will be able to play the game in full VR with my Index motion controllers when they arrive, or just be happy with Cinema mode. TBH the one thing really going for CP77 is the graphics engine with RT; it makes little sense to sacrifice that in the name of forcing it into a VR experience.

Now, when the NEXT gen cards come along, I think I’ll actually be able to push enough pixels, even through vorpX, to play a game like this at the clarity I want in full VR mode.

For now, older games that I can push at 4K using a G3D profile (F03, etc.) look absolutely amazing in full VR, but modern games, ironically, with their newer-but-much-softer AA in the first place, and needing to use Z3D to push the frame rate I need: Even at 4K they often end up too soft.

Not a complaint, just an observation of the limits of technology. TriDef was always much softer in Z3D than G3D mode as well.

One thing that might help: Is there any way you could try to make ReShade work more consistently with vorpX? Right now it’s hit-and-miss. The error pops up, but with some titles it works just fine (Greedfall). With others it will cause an instant CTD (CP77 is one of these). I have LONG used AA, sharpening, and very importantly the Film Grain ReShade filters to manage games that otherwise look poor with various 3D techniques. A small amount of Film Grain, for example, can help to mask Z3D halos and will trick the eye & brain into perceiving a scene as being more detailed than it actually is (the brain interprets a certain amount of grain as added sharpness/detail for some reason, a trick photographers have used for ages to ‘fix’ photos that are too soft.)

If you can’t work to allow ReShade to work the normal way, is there any way you could set it up so that vorpX can handle ReShade itself and apply it to games that way?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Most of those modern AA methods indeed aren’t exactly great for VR. Good old MSAA rules. vorpX comes with its shown sharpening filter, which is the better choice compared to apply sharpening with ReShade since it gets applied later in the process at the headset resolution instead of at game res.

If you can afford it performance wise for a specific game, no AA but high resolutions (i.e. supersampling) might also be worth a try. Although with modern games and G3D that’s usually not a viable option.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

The latest vorpX update, combined with a couple other tweaks, has me running Cyberpunk at 3840×2160, Ultra Ray-Tracing settings, at “Balanced DLSS” at 72hz/36fps. It’s not great for full VR mode (although; certainly fun to hop into that mode occasionally), but it does look extremely good in Virtual Cinema mode. Super-crisp with vorpX sharpening set all the way to max.

A few things I’ve discovered along the way:

1) I believe vorpX originally set my screen mode to borderless windowed. When I went back to full screen mode my performance immediately increased by a fairly substantial amount. I’m glad I finally tried switching back to full-screen mode.

2) The Cyberpunk depth-map may be very strange. I’ve found that by placing the depth-balance all they way out and then turning down the overall depth scale I still get tons of ‘near’ depth, but now with excellent ‘far’ depth as well and much reduced distortion overall. This exact same trick works for SuperDepth3D BTW, where I’ve found settings that work well to be wildly different than I’ve seen for any other title.

3) I think we are down to only 2 issues that need fixing; the way specific Mods are now available for RDR2 and GTAV made me think it’s possible for Cyberpunk as well: A) We need to figure out what the UI overlay is for the help-keys, and then substitute the Controller UI elements for the Keyboard UI elements. That way when Cyberpunk flips between the controller and keyboard UI elements it will be flipping between ‘controller’ and ‘controller’ elements. It’s definitely a bit problematic to run this without being able to easily read what button you are supposed to use. B) Vehicle FOV changes make it essentially impossible to drive or ride in full VR mode, which is a real shame, as that’s the perfect place for full VR mode to work in this title. There is a Cyberengine Tweaks way to play with this, but like many things, getting that complicated mess to work with an already complicated mess could take countless hours. It would be great if vorpX had a way to fix this issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is a weird issue with the game where sometimes the framerate can drop to single digits after changing some game or vorpX settings. Typically flipping through the ‘Play Style’ option will help. If not a restart should do.

For vehicles I’d recommend to switch to 3rd person mode. FullVR is too impressive in Cyberpunk for switching to immersive screen mode just because of first person driving.

Probably a fight against windmills, but: instead of cranking up all gfx options to the max and having to live with DLSS, disable Raytracing and enjoy a higher, natively rendered resolution instead. Looks better than Raytracing with a lower, DLSS-butchered resolution. Especially in FullVR mode, where individual pixels are relatively large.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Yeah, typically I agree that upscaling stinks, but newer versions of DLSS are surprisingly good in a number of titles. What AMD is doing isn’t quite as good, but then again it supports a LOT more hardware and it’s Open Source (thus allowing you to use it; I’m really interested in seeing how that works out as I bet it gives me that final boost in clarity that I really need, but at a lower resolution. Currently I just *have* to push 4K per eye for full VR to look sharp, even with sharpening turned all the way to max).

Yesterday I had things running incredibly well at 45/90 at some weird resolution between 2880×1620 and 3840×2160; 33xx by something else. But no luck today; gotta love that! No idea what changed; nothing deliberate, that’s for sure. I’m back to 36/72 at any resolution I want to use, which is way too low for full VR anyway, and the RT is, to me, what gives Cyberpunk it’s best look; without, even at higher resolutions, it looks an awful lot like any other moderately capable engine. On the other hand, if the devs keep borking the quality, which degrades with every single major patch, I’m just going to bail on this title anyway, like so many other have already done – it’s the visuals and atmosphere that set Cyberpunk apart, that the devs seem set on destroying that in pursuit of better performance on older consoles is just baffling.

Ralf
    Keymaster

IDK, maybe I’m unusually sensitive to upscaled vs. native, but even DLSS at its highest settings clearly doesn’t look like the same res rendered natively.

Incidentally I just ran around Night City to check how the new vorpX scaling works together with DLSS. DLSS without a doubt works well for faking 4K on a monitor or TV, but with vorpX it all depends on how large the final pixels are in the end. In FullVR mode at ‘reasonable’ vorpX game resolutions like, let’s say 1440p or 1600p, artifacts and imperfections are fairly obvious, even with the highest preset the difference to native is easy to spot.

At higher resolutions or in cinema mode, i.e. with smaller pixel sizes, DLSS becomes more useful since the benefits begin to outweigh the inherent imperfections.

AMDs ‘Super Resolution’ really just is a Lanczos-like upscaler combined with a fairly good sharpening algorithm and a dirty little mipmapping trick. Some PC video players/renderers, e.g. MadVR (VR means video renderer in this case!) do that – minus the mipmapping trick – since ages, just not for games. That’s really nice upscaling and it was a good idea to add it to any game developer’s toolbox, but they would have done everyone a favor by choosing a more modest marketing name.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’m actually going to try and downgrade to v1.23 of Cyberpunk despite having quite a few hours into playing after the 1.3 patch. I just can’t handle the visual degradation. It was a gorgeous game, now it just looks like ‘any other title you can name.’ Failing that I’m on to other titles until the devs actually fix it properly.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Success in upgrading from v1.3 to v1.23 ;-) Game looks absolutely fantastic again.

Hoping your version that supports AMD’s ‘Super Resolution’ – I think that will probably be the final thing I need to get 45/90 reliably rather than 36/72. I can turn off RT Lighting only of course, and keep the other RT effects, that’s a huge gain, but I’m really hoping I can squeeze that last tiny bit of performance out of my GPU (without installing a liquid cooler and OCing even more. It’s already a pretty heavily factory overclocked 3080 Ti and it runs right over 2GHz most of the time at surprisingly cool temps. I would rather not push it.)

Out of curiosity; I have a LOT of trouble pushing Cyberpunk all the way to full GPU utilization (it’s not being CPU bound either, not even close). Especially in “Fast” or “Alt Fast” HMD sync mode it’s more pronounced, but in Safe mode of course even my base FPS is much lower. At as low as 85% or so GPU usage I’ll sometimes start getting mismatched images in the lenses, bad tearing, etc., and eventually the layer between Cyberpunk and SteamVR will crash, leaving the game running on my monitor so I can save, but forcing a relaunch of course.

But in other titles through vorpX I can push the GPU all the way to 100% and watch the FPS begin to take a hit, but everything will just continue to work. Greedfall is like this for me. I’ve got that setup so it runs basically between 90%-100% GPU usage in nearly all scenarios, and delivers a smooth 72fps with no tearing, flicker, or other weirdness. On the rare occasion I find a scene where I can’t maintain 72fps the fps drops a little, but there are no other ill-effects.

Is there anything I can do to make it so I can push Cyberpunk harder without these glitches? I’m leaving a fair amount of performance on the table.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!