A little bit of development talk

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion A little bit of development talk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Usually I don’t really talk about what is going on development wise, but this is worth mentioning:

Some of you may have been wondering why the f*** there aren’t any recent Frostbite engine games (almost all newer EA titles) with Geometry 3D. Well, the simple and not exactly flattering reason is that for a long time I couldn’t come up with a G3D implementation for a rarely used Direct3D 11.1 feature this engine uses extensively. At least not without completely destroying performance.

Until today.

Not only does it work beautifully now, it’s also faster than I could have hoped for. Overall less than 50% G3D performance impact without rendering to a headset, so probably only a little bit more than 50% eventually.

So far only one game has been tested (Mass Effect: Andromeda), but if nothing unforeseen happens, this finally should allow G3D for most newer Frostbite games including Battlefield 4 and newer, SW: Battlefront, Dragon Age: Inquisition etc. Stay tuned.

Maarculus
    Participant

fingers crossed

RJK_
    Participant

always

zahncisten
    Participant

Awesome, thanks Ralf! That’ll be incredible.

Bobby Kennedy
    Participant

Nice :)

dellrifter22
    Participant

Way cool!! Thanks for sharing

markbradley1982
    Participant

Awesome news! Long live VorpX!

matteo39
    Participant

I wait to play Andromeda in g3d!

morbidexpression
    Participant

Nice! Looking forward to checking out the results.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!

dellrifter22
    Participant

When you test Battlefield 1, can you recheck the headtracking?

I think a game update broke it, causing severe jumpy mouse when enabled. And when you turn it off, not even cinema/edgepeek tracking works.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll take a look at it. Head tracking is mouse emulation based though in BF1, so there isn’t really anything that could break. One thing you could check is whether raw input is enabled in the game’s options. The DirectVR optimizer is supposed to take care of that normally.

dellrifter22
    Participant

yeah, I tried messing with mouse input settings, no luck. But turnning off headtracking makes it normal. That’s when I discovered headtracking wasn’t working in general.

Wondered if emulation is getting confused with some game controls update, even though I never have a gamepad plugged in. Game used to work fine until earlier this year. Let me know if you have the same trouble. Thanks.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Still OK in the campaign, but not in multiplayer. Odd, thanks for the heads-up. I’ll take a closer look next week.

Luckily there is a simple workaround for now: playing with a gamepad, only thing that doesn’t work is using a mouse. Apparently in multiplayer the game now dislikes two mice being used at the same time (the real one and the simulated head tracking mouse). With a gamepad it’s as silky smooth as ever.

dborosev
    Participant

Nice! ME:A in G3D, can’t wait! You keep making this thing better and better and better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!