A little lost

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion A little lost

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steampunkgears
    Participant

Hey all,
    I recieved my oculus rift yesterday and proceeded to use the steps to get it working for skyrim on

This morning I was able to register my vorpx and get it to show up on my task bar. After reading much into the forums I removed my d3d9.dll and ive even removed other files that were the result from yesterdays results from that website.

Once I did this i get nothing when i boot up skyrim, just a black screen. after replacing those dll’s I can boot up like I did and mess around with the oculus but thats it. i do not get the vorpx control or in game menu when i press del

any help or insight would be much appreciated. this has been getting frusterating and almost regretting paying for vorpx if i cant get this to work.

Thanks

Steampunkgears
    Participant
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Hi Steampunkgears,

not sure what might be the issue here. Did you try with a clean and unmodded install of Skyrim? Skyrim is not known to cause issues normally. The Script Extender that is requested on that page might cause issues for example (although it seems to work in general).

One general thing you could try is to disable your virus scanner temporarily and see whether that helps. There might be a conflict between its memory protection and the way vorpX hooks into games.

If you haven’t done so before, please also take a look at the trouble shooting sticky.

Steampunkgears
    Participant

will the oculus still work if i do this? or is it a step by step thing where once I can confirm vorpx works then slowly insert mod after mod to help smooth game play?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You need no mod to use Skyrim with vorpX.

You can use most mods of course. But in your case it sounds best to first try without any mods installed.

Steampunkgears
    Participant

ok i reverted my system back a bit and got everything working with vorpx

now my next question pertains to the i believe its the eye seperation. I calibrated the oculous rift in the config window, but im still seeing a slight double with text in game, is there another way to manually set this,

i had found that the mods befor allowed me to hit f2 or f3 to change this but that is no longer a option now.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you refer to certain text overlays in Skyrim in Geometry 3D mode, that’s most likely not an IPD issue. It’s a small glitch in vorpX that might be fixed later. If only the text looks wrong, but the image itself looks OK, you shouldn’t change anything.

But you can if you want: you don’t have to use an Oculus profile at all. Simply select ‘Do not use an Oculus Profile’ in the vorpX Configuration. After doing so you can manually change your IPD, either in the config window, or directly in-game on the display page of the in-game menu. vorpX also has its own calibration routine, which can be launched from the in-game menu.

Hope that hepls.

Steampunkgears
    Participant

yeah i was trying to determine this myself, I relazied if i set the ey distance in game to 0, i get text centered but the in game depth and image is not as 3d anymore so ill mess around with it,

when I use a oculus profile will it automaticly set the IPD in game for me or do i need to do a in game calibration? I ask because the in game eye distance is set to 100.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Eye Distance and IPD are two different things. The Eye Distance is the virtual camera distance in the game, while the IPD is your physical IPD.

If you use an Oculus profile, you cannot set your IPD, since it is determined by the Oculus profile. The virtual Eye Distance can be set in both cases (which changes the ‘strength’ of the 3D effect).

Steampunkgears
    Participant

yeah its a bit confusing on my end, the virtual eye distance definatly provides a more in depth view of the environment if set right. but as long as the IPD from the oculus profile has been set i shouldnt need to worry too much?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can adjust the Separation to your liking if you want, nothing wrong with that. In some games (including Skyrim) it’s currently a bit too high to give a realistic sense of scale per default, so it might make sense to set it lower until this is fixed.

The IPD usually should not be touched though once it is calibrated. It’s quite important to have this set right to avoid eye strain while using the Rift over a longer time. Calibrating it with the Oculus utility is the best way to do this.

Steampunkgears
    Participant

ok cool, i think im set for awhile till new problems arise. appreciate the help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!