A Little Policy Change

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion A Little Policy Change

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Due to recent events I sadly have to announce a little change in policy in regard to the forum.

Long time users are accustomed to getting actual, sometimes technical, always more or less unfiltered, developer replies to their questions here whenever possible instead of well formulated ‘corporate’ replies carefully designed mainly to not step on anyone’s toe. That has always been a conscious decision and I will try to continue to do so as much as I can, but from now on things will tend a bit more to the latter.

As much as I dislike that myself since typically it leads to less meaningful replies, apparently the frictionless way that is used in most support forums is the only one that really works in the long run.

I apologize in advance to anyone who appreciates the more direct approach. I’ll try to find some middle ground that doesn’t result in completely hollow thanks-for-contacting-us-bullshit.

Eola667
    Participant

No problem with it, though I do agree that direct answers are always desirable it also ends up taking a toll on the one in charge of answering in situations like these. Your own well-being is most important here.

steph12
    Participant

the bigger the community, the more annoying it can become to handle it.

100% understandable.

dborosev
    Participant

That’s too bad. Your involvement and insight really stands apart from the usual corporate bullshit out there. I get it, but still too bad. I’m imagining a lot more “sorry this isn’t supported” type responses to people, which is fair enough.
    One thing I would suggest is to perhaps put together as comprehensive a list of template help answers as you can for 90% of the one-off “how do i do this” type questions you get, and focus on the 10% that have done their own work ahead of time.
    A giant FAQ could probably knock off most of the questions/requests you get. I know there is already a list, but adding more meat now would save tons of time down the road. For a product as complex as VorpX, I would suggest an FAQ with MANY entries in it. And just point to it constantly.

JESUSTAYS
    Participant

I appreciate and respect it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ dborosov

No worries, I won’t go away. I mainly will be more careful what I say and how I say it. For the most part I won’t go into technical details anymore whenever I get the impression that might not end well. Trying to explain stuff in detail too often had the opposite effect of what I had intended and instead of clarifying something lead to lengthy discussions. That doesn’t help anyone and just costs too much energy in the long run that is better spent elsewhere.

dborosev
    Participant

@Ralf
    Yep you have to find the right balance between being a kick ass product supporter, and going insane.

FATHER
    Participant

What recent events are you actually talking about? The riots? COVID-19 lockdown?

What’s actually changing?

Minabe
    Participant

My guess is the “3D-Vision 3 core bug” that keeps on popping up from time to time, seems like a cult developed around it.

FATHER
    Participant

What?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t think about it. Not worth wasting a single second of your time. About as useful as thinking about lizard people ruling the world.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!