A shout-out to modders

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion A shout-out to modders

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

DISCLAIMER TO TEMPER EXPECTATIONS OF NON-MODDERS: The below will only be applicable to a small fraction of games!

The upcoming vorpX release will include a small C API that can be used in camera/fov/head tracking mods or even for direct integration of vorpX into a game with minimal effort. You don’t even have to know how to load a DLL, getting it up and running requires just a few lines of code.

If you happen to be a die hard modder who mods a game that allows actual C/C++ code in mods or maybe even want to integrate vorpX directly into your own game, send me a mail to support |at| vorpx com for more detailed information. A C# wrapper could be written if someone is interested.

If you aren’t a modder/dev yourself, but maybe are active in a modding community, spread the word!

C/C++ mod/game devs only have to set up the camera with fov/position/rotation retrieved from the vorpX API, everything else is handled by vorpX as usual. The pseudo code example below is all you need to make it work in a basic scenario without controller handling. Literally couldn’t be easier.

SomewhereOnStart()
    {
        vpxApiInit(); 
    }

InYourGameLoop()
    {
        if (vpxApiIsActive() == true) {
            float fov = vpxApiGetCameraFov()
            float pos[3] = vpxApiGetCameraPosition();
            float rot[3] = vpxApiGetCameraRotation();
            // Set up your camera with the values above
        } else {
            // Set up your camera normally
        }
    }

steph12
    Participant

this is too technical for me, but i salute your effort to allow this kind of stuff, should be useful for people knowing what you are talking about, developpers themselves, and/or experimented modders ^^

it seems you are allowing more and more freedom for vorpx users, that’s really great, that can only help it to grow even stronger and wider :)

RJK_
    Participant

Direct integration into a game, hope that many devs will jump on that, could bring a bunch of money to vorpx as well.

moarveer
    Participant

This is great news, I hope devs use this.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Sounds neat. This and the exe naming workaround are welcome additions. Thanks.

jjensson
    Participant

I can’t imagine all the implications here, but it sounds very interesting.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update on this. A first version of the API is now largely finished and working great in the test scenario.

The important thing now will be to get the word out to the right people. Whenever you hear of a camera/FOV mod for a popular game, let the modder know about this. The API won’t work for every camera/FOV mod, but any mod using actual C/C++ code is a potential candidate.

Potential candidates don’t have to be VR specific mods, any C/C++ mod affecting camera FOV/rotation/position is suitable.

As an example of what would be possible in the best case: adding the vorpX API to script extenders for heavily moddable games like Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV would provide a solid foundation for capable modders to create VR mods that come very close to the native Skyrim/Fallout 4 ports in terms of functionality.

Serious contenders could of course get a free vorpX license if they don’t own one.

red
    Participant

Missing ‘;’ on Line 9 :

float fov = vpxApiGetCameraFov();

(only kidding… just want to be able to say on my deathbed that I once debugged VorpX code).

RJK_
    Participant

@red Not shure what you want to tell us

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!