Alternative ways to shut down VorpX?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Alternative ways to shut down VorpX?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    xrc6
    Participant

I have a particular situation where I use Steam as the shell instead of Windows for a more console experience. I have VorpX as a shortcut in Steam but it’s an issue to exit. Since I don’t have quick access to the start bar without running explorer, I wanted to know how I could make a batch file to exit vorpX where I could create a shortcut for it instead?
    I just don’t know how to use commands for batch files but am sure it can be done, anyone know?

Or is there any other known method to shut down VorpX via hotkeys?

Ralf
    Keymaster

A batch with the below command should do the trick. Please note that doing this is not a good way to exit the program. It’s basically a crash and skips some clean-up actions. The next vorpX version will allow a cleaner taskkill exit without the /f (forced) parameter, that probably doesn’t work with the current release though.

taskkill /f /im vorpcontrol.exe

xrc6
    Participant

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I could use this too. Can you elaborate on why it’s not a good way to exit VorpX?

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX performs a few clean-up actions before shutting down, which aren’t executed when the program is force closed by the OS. That’s not an issue in most cases, but there can be situations where that may lead to problems, so it should be avoided.

xrc6
    Participant

I recommend a hotkey exit feature in your next version. Or perhaps a way to open and exit VorpX for specific games.

However after writing that last sentence I suddenly realized that I could just add VorpX to my start up folder and simply add all the games that I don’t want VorpX to function for to my exclude folder. Theres only a couple games I even use it for but at least this way I won’t have to exit the program when I go to play another game.

That said, perhaps an option to include VorpX functionality to a list of added games leaving everything else automatically excluded would be helpful for those of us that just want functionality for a few specific titles, that way we won’t have to exit VorpX. A start with Windows feature in the options would be useful.

Also I suppose I should ask, does VorpX when running, effect actual VR games? I wanted to know if I need to add them to the exclusion list or not.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX tries to hook into every DirectX/OpenGL game, so it will also hook into VR games. Before starting a VR game, you need to pause the watcher from the tray icon’s right click menu or exit vorpX.

I’m not quite sure weheter there are too many users with your fullscreen Steam as shell setup, but I may consider a reversed include/exclude option for a later version.

You can get to your goal yourself right away by starting the games you want to use with vorpX via simple batch files:

start [path_to_vorpX]\vorpControl.exe
    timeout /T 10
    cd /d [path_to_game]
    game.exe
    timeout /T 10
    taskkill /f /im vorpControl.exe

The second timeout may look unnecessary but will allow vorpX to clean up after a game has exited. Do not remove it! May also help with games that force the use of a launcher.

RJK_
    Participant

Hello there,

I use this little program to delay applications,

DelayX

RJK_
    Participant

Never recommend something without testing it. Very embarrassing. Dont even try that app, it doesnt work the way i thought i would.

BTW. are there any command line options for vorpX for to DE/Enable the watcher ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!