Ambience Background Feature Question

Homepage Forums Technical Support Ambience Background Feature Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Xain
    Participant

In Vorpx there is an option to have either nothing or an ambience background to fill the space that the game window does not take up. However Ralf, I was wondering if there was any plans on expanding this as I play quite a bit of games that do not work with the Direct Scan or have no way of changing the FoV. Something like perhaps an option to be able to import a png image as an overlay?

For example a user would be able to zoom the screen out enough to see all of it without anything being off screen and then instead of filling the background with either ambience or nothing a user could import a png picture that would go over top the game window. Mine would be the inside of a medieval helmet or if I’m playing some kind of futuristic game perhaps a futuristic helmet with random cogs and stats in my peripheral vision.

Seems like it would be simple to add just require the image to be a png with transparency saved. People would be able to upload different helmet designs they made as well.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Are you using an older vorpX version (latest is 17.2.3)? Since a few releases there is an option to import stereo and mono 360° images in a wide variety of formats.

The importer is in the config app (“Cinema Environments”) and also has a few links to 360° images sources. To use them in the game, enable Cinema Mode and then choose the “Image” Scene, which then let’s you flip through your imported backgrounds.

Xain
    Participant

The Cinema Environments isn’t what I’m trying to achieve or if it is then I am not doing it correctly. Basically I want to import an image that will be stuck to your face and transparent so you can see your game; like an overlay or looking through a helmet; here is an example.

Helmet Example

So basically I could then zoom the game out as far as I wanted and have the inside of the helmet acting as if it were a literal helmet limiting my field of view.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Apparently I misread you first post, sorry. That sounds like a neat idea, although it probably would be better to have actual 3d models. Not only good for ‘fixing’ low FOV, but a 3d-modeled helmet also improves immersion quite a bit in general. See Bioshock 2. Maybe three pre-defined helmets to choose from for race, sc-fi, fantasy.

As this isn’t exactly essential, I won’t promise anything, but I like the idea.

Xain
    Participant

Maybe 3d would be more immersive but 2d would be more versatile. People would be able to make their own that are the proper aspect ratio and upload them for others to use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!