AMD or NVIDIA? (non-fanboy responses please!)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion AMD or NVIDIA? (non-fanboy responses please!)

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Well, I went with the AMD 5700 XT. Price to performance is usually how I buy cards, and it seem to currently be the winner in that category. It is much faster than my old r9 390, which already ran very well. It’s also pretty quiet, which is surprising, so maybe I won’t have to invest in a liquid cooler for it.

Also just received my Pimax 5K Plus HMD and will hopefully have time to at least get it setup this weekend. Gotta finally buy vorpX also, but will most likely get it all setup with something that supports VR out of the box (PCars 2 maybe. Would rather use it in AC since it has vastly superior physics and FFB, but I hear that’s a bit tricker on the VR end so I’ll probably tackle the tricky things later).

Thanks for the responses in this thread, they were helpful!

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Just a quick updated: After extensive testing it looks like the Pixax HMDs in particular have serious issues with AMD cards (the Pimax tool does not detect the HMD when connected to various AMD cards). I was able to borrow a lowly RTX 2070 for testing and all HMD detection settings were immediately resolved, so I ended up returning the 5700 XT. Too bad because the performance was good and the price in-line with what I wanted to pay. Have and Nvidia card on order but paying a lot more for it of course (especially as vendors are currently gouging for the RTX Super line of cards).

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!