Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Homepage Forums Technical Support Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    heavymetalriff
    Participant

Trying to get this game to work. It boots into the Rift just fine, but the rendered image seems to alternate in each eye, causing some terrible flickering, as well as mouse trails. It happens with 3D on or off. The game looks completely fine on my monitor, but in the headset it flickers. The flickering speeds up if I’m getting higher FPS and I’ve tried turning on and off every setting in the menu. Please help! Thanks!

gnet2000
    Participant

I cannot play Amnesia Dark Descent at all. Both eyes get flashing flickering of the game and the frame rates is so low it would be less than 1 frame per second. Im running win 10 64 bit. AMD fx-8350 Black edition and an R9 390x video card. Quake 2 does the exact same thing. I have tried many settings to no avail. Games like Skyrim and fallout 4 run just fine. It seems to be a possible issue with Open GL not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gnet2000
    Participant

I have the exact same issue. It also happens with Quake 2. Did you ever find a resolution?

heavymetalriff
    Participant

Nope, never received any support. Although, like you said in your other post about Quake 2, it’s probably related to OpenGL. With how many people looking forward to playing Amnesia with the rift and vorpx, I’m surprised it took this long for someone to respond. But no, I never did get it working. :(

gnet2000
    Participant

I just got my rift a week ago and then discovered vorpx. I made my post first but then found yours. I think the issue is that there are very few of us who have a rift AND have vorpx so not as many people having our issues. Is your video card an AMD card?

heavymetalriff
    Participant

Yeah, my video card is an XFX R9 390. You’re probably right, that’s a really small niche of people, rift+vorpx+amnesia. Hopefully we can get an answer at some point, I just figured an update broke the functionality or something.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I merged the two threads.

This is an AMD issue and unfortunately there is no easy fix for it (except not using an AMD card). OpenGL in vorpX relies on OpenGL extensions to get the image from OpenGL to the DirectX based rest of vorpX. Support for some of these extensions is rather flaky in AMD drivers unfortunately.

A possible workaround is using the vorpX Desktop Viewer instead of vorpX hooking directly into OpenGL. This won’t give you Stereo 3D, but the game will be playable otherwise.

1. Start the vorpX Desktop Viewer.
    2. Pause the vorpX watcher (right click menu of the vorpX tray icon).
    3. Start the game windowed! Fullscreen OpenGL will not work with the desktop viewer.
    4. Move the game window to the center of the view.
    5. Turn off Virtual Cinema Mode in the vorpX ingame menu to play in full VR.

heavymetalriff
    Participant

Bummer! Well at least we now know the issue. I will not plan on playing any OpenGL games for now :) Thanks Ralf! Appreciate all the work you’re doing!

gnet2000
    Participant

Yes thank you for the response and possible solution. Maybe AMD will release some drivers that fix this issue. At least now I know its not an issue with Vorpx.

steph12
    Participant

necro’ing this thread just to say, wow this game is amazing with vorpx :D thanks Ralf for making this possible !

glad i finally tried playing this game ^^

Pophicless
    Participant

Hi,

just wanted to know, whether there is ANY other/new way to play Amnesia TDD with Radeon GPU (RX6700XT with HP Reverb G2), since it’s been a few years.
    The (basically) immersive screen variant is nice, but is there a fix for the “eye switching” and stutter to play it in Geometry 3D, yet?
    I basically got the same problem as quoted below, but sometimes one eye goes just dark and another shows (part of) the image.

(anyway, Happy New Year everyone!)

I cannot play Amnesia Dark Descent at all. Both eyes get flashing flickering of the game and the frame rates is so low it would be less than 1 frame per second. Im running win 10 64 bit. AMD fx-8350 Black edition and an R9 390x video card. Quake 2 does the exact same thing. I have tried many settings to no avail. Games like Skyrim and fallout 4 run just fine. It seems to be a possible issue with Open GL not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!