Any idea why I cant turn off ASW in Skyrim?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Any idea why I cant turn off ASW in Skyrim?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mot
    Participant

As title. I’ve turned off V-Sync in the .ini files and get thousands of frames per second and my GPU goes “SCREEEEEEEEE!” with coil whine when on monitor. But can only get 45 fps with Vorpx and cannot turn of asw?

nieda113
    Participant

Hi yes you can , you need the oculus tray tool to configure ur rift.
    Search for :oculus tray tool

Ralf
    Keymaster

Set the “FluidSync” option on the “Display Settings” page of the vorpX ingame menu to “Off” or “Auto”. That will allow games to run at the full headset refresh rate (90 in your case).

Caveat: that makes most sense for games that can run safely at 90fps all the time, which is not the case for Skyrim, even with a GTX1080Ti. Rendering in 3D and to your headset costs a lot of performance.

BTW: The “thousands of frames per second” you see in Skyrim’s menu on your monitor don’t have any meaning since almost nothing is rendered there.

Mot
    Participant

I’ve had no luck with OTT or Oculus Debug. and Cntrl+1 does nothing (happens in DCS World too). But last night when I checked Elite it worked, so something else is happening.

I’ll have another look at Vorpx settings.

Sorry I meant without Vorpx running, just on the monitor… old fashioned like.

Mot
    Participant

So I turned off Fluid Sync (I’m pretty sure I tried different setting before too), and I’m still stuck at 45fps. I ran the Oculus Debug Tool’s ‘Performance’ overlay and even with ASW disabled in ODT, it also shows 45hz app refresh. It also shows ~60% headroom which I just cant figure out…

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that is still the case with FluidSync off, the Oculus runtime decides to throttle down on its own, not much vorpX can do about that. The runtime makes its decision based on GPU load, so you can try to reduce that (e.g. by switching to Z3D, reducing graphics detail etc.).

As said above, rendering everything twice for Geometry 3D and sending the image to the headset costs a lot of performance. To reach 90fps in Skyrim with G3D at least in some parts of the game you need a very fast PC.

Mot
    Participant

Even with low res and low detail it’s still 45fps with the same headroom.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I can’t give you any other answer than the one I already gave you, sorry. All you can do is trying to reduce graphics detail and/or switching to Z-Buffer 3D. Nothing else can be done since it’s the Oculus runtime that decides whether it wants to throttle down or not with FluidSync disabled in vorpX.

Mot
    Participant

Fair call. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Mot
    Participant

I’ve narrowed it down to low GPU utilization (30-40%) … any ideas?

Mot
    Participant

Getting much better utilization and frames now with ‘OneTweak’ mod from Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40706/?tab=description

Also added to Skyrim.ini to fix physics issues at 90fps when Vsync is off:

[Havok]
    fMaxTime=0.011

Also game has numerous mods and 2K textures and is mostly @90fps with RX 480 8GB. I’m sure there will be places it doesn’t like, but I am yet to find them.
    Now for tweaking!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!