Any Plugin/Driver SDK/API ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Any Plugin/Driver SDK/API ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nztyke33
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to hookup the HMD position tracking directly to vJoy instead of using opentrack. I was thinking of coding a plugin myself. Is there a way to do this currently?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That might not be necessary, vorpX can map head tracking to gamepad input (used e.g. in various racing game profiles). You can configure that on the input page of the vorpX menu. ‘X-Box Gamepad Override’ has to be off. When that’s the case, you can enable the ‘Headtracking As Gamepad’ option. Once it’s on, various configuration options become available that allow you to finetune the tracking > gamepad translation. Be aware though that games usually apply heavy filtering to gamepad input, so that’s fairly laggy. No way around that.

If that’s not what you’re after, there is a fairly easy to use C API that among other things let’s you get the tracking data from vorpX. If you are programming in C/C++, that’s all you need. There is an API folder below the vorpX program folder with the required header and source file. Documentation incl. example snippets can be found in the help.

nztyke33
    Participant

I will take a look at the gamepad option. However, wrt vorpX API files, yes I have seen those. But as yet not figured out how to get vorpX to “hook” into a generic app/service without actually being part of an actual game i.e. a background feeder task that sends HMD tracking data to vJoy (pretty much like OpenTrack would do – but without the “middle man”, so to speak).

Ralf
    Keymaster

The API’s purpose is letting games (or usually mods for games) communicate with vorpX, it only works from ‘within’ a game that has also loaded vorpX. It is not intended for usage with external programs.

While it would certainly be possible to provide head tracking data in some shared memory for access by external programs, that is not currently available. Maybe I’ll add a little DLL or so for that purpose, although that won’t get high priority. Not many use cases I can think of where that would make sense.

nztyke33
    Participant

i was thinking more along the lines of perhaps vorpX scanning some “addon” folder on startup, for any dll that has code implementing some interface, say, with a method called maybe void SendData(..) and
    void ReadData(..) or something. any files that cause issues can be put on an “ignore” list so that future startups wont cause issues. i think you know what i mean, having worked with openvr, etc.

the reason why i ask for this feature is that, sure, i can implement the “HMD” position tracking directly using a custom made openvr headsets driver but since vorpx is able to render without openvr/xr, it would be nice to not have to use those if vorpx is working in “generic vr headset” mode.

anyway, just a suggestion. no rush. in the meantime i will use my custom openvr driver :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!