anyone still looking for a good upscaler

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings anyone still looking for a good upscaler

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    celticspike
    Participant

so if anyone is still looking for a good way to pair Vorpx with FSR upscaling I HIGHLY recommend this tool
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/

I have been testing with a bunch of games that previously ran like crap under Vorpx and its amazing.

all you need to do is run the game you want in windowed mode, and set the resolution according to the chart here
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2571051375

and then use lossless scaling to upscale to the desired fullscreen resolution.

this also works great when paired with reshade and the “Super Depth3d” shader so i can run pretty much any flatscreen game under VorpX.

so I run the game in windowed mode with reshade giving me a stereo3d image , and lossless scaling upscales to fullscreen and i then run vorpx in immersive or cinema mode and set content type to stereo.

just tested with max payne 3 and bullet cam looks amazing

moarveer
    Participant

This is intriguing, does it work together with Vorpx own FSR sharpening?

celticspike
    Participant

it does indeed.
    lossless scaling will also do the sharpening for you too, if for some reason the one in Vorpx causes issues.
    from my perspective Vorpx has integrated the sharpening part of FSR whereas lossless scaling has that AND the upscaling tech to boot.

bear in mind I have mainly tested with games that don’t have official profiles or support for Vorpx, and that’s where re-shade comes in.

Lossless scaling should work just as well with officially supported games.
    just run it in windowed mode at the resolution per the chart, and upscale by the associated factor with lossless scaling

as an example when I previously tried max payne 3 with vorpx and reshade it was unplayable at any decent resolution. 30-40 fps . with lossless scaling i can have the game running at 70-80fps while still looking great in the headset

moarveer
    Participant

I may give this a try when I get to play Cyberpunk and report, that’s a pretty huge fps improvement that would surely be very welcome.

Smoils
    Participant

Didnt read it through properly first time and was disappointed.

This only works if you use reshade super3d apparently and then vorpx desktop viewer. Since usual vorpx hooking will stay at whatever resolution game is running and ignore changes lossless scaling adds.

It would’ve been great but vorpx desktop viewer for some reason runs much worse for me than actual program, plus its limited to screen refresh rate.

Ralf
    Keymaster

from my perspective Vorpx has integrated the sharpening part of FSR whereas lossless scaling has that AND the upscaling tech to boot.

Actually vorpX does all three parts of the FSR technique, not just the two shaders: obviously sharpening and upscaling (vorpX upscales anyway when preparing the image for sending it to the headset, now it can use the Lanczos filter from FSR for that). In addition to these vorpX can do the texture detail hack that is the third part of the full package. The latter is only possible for apps like vorpX that hook deeper into the graphics pipeline since it’s not a post effect shader but done during the actual game rendering.

I also went the extra mile and coded the upscaling algorithm into the image processing that happens anyway instead of just slapping the AMD provided shaders on the game and then resampling the image again later as before, which would have partially negated the prior gain in sharpness.

You can control what is active with the Clarity setting:
    Low: Default (bilinear) scaling with FSR sharpening
    Medium: FSR scaling with FSR sharpening
    High: FSR scaling with FSR sharpening + texture detail enhancement

TLDR: No better way to apply FSR for vorpX than using the Clarity setting.

BTW: Generally it’s not really advisable to stack multiple upscaling/sharpening instances on top of each other. Performance considerations aside (each of these operations processes every single pixel of an image several times for one output pixel), these things aren’t some kind of magic that you can do several times without creating visible artifacts.

Smoils
    Participant

TLDR: No better way to apply FSR for vorpX than using the Clarity setting.

Thanks for clearing that out and adding fsr into core program.

Low: Default (bilinear) scaling with FSR sharpening
    Medium: FSR scaling with FSR sharpening
    High: FSR scaling with FSR sharpening + texture detail enhancement

This needs to be added somewhere in vorpx to clear things out better, I dont think Ive seen it explained anywhere in program itself.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I practically disobeyed AMD’s recommdations by even letting you configure things in detail. In their developer docs they excplitely ask developers to not make separate controls available. They’d rather see this offered with a single switch under their “Super Resolution” moniker.

celticspike
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying raif. Tested more last night and I can see vorpx does indeed upscale with the clarity setting. On previous vorpx I tried Shadow of the tomb raider and performance was horrible. Now if I run the game in windowed mode and use the clarity setting it looks and runs great.

celticspike
    Participant

This needs to be added somewhere in vorpx to clear things out better, I dont think Ive seen it explained anywhere in program itself.

Yeah agreed. That definitely caused the confusion on my end. Thought it was just doing sharpening

celticspike
    Participant

Sorry to hear that dude. Desktop viewer mode has always been great for me. I can play emulators and non supported games with it.
    I do have a high refresh monitor so maybe that’s a bigger factor than I realized. Apologies for giving you false hope

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!