Anyone use Shadow PC with Vorpx?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Anyone use Shadow PC with Vorpx?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kurry
    Participant

I just ordered Shadow PC (Cloud Gaming) and it’s a 3 month wait period.
    I was hoping to use it with Vorpx and the new Oculus Quest, but I’m not
    sure if it works.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I have no experience with such a setup, so take that with a little grain of salt, but I’m pretty sure that won’t work, at least not the normal way, as that would require your headset to be connected to the cloud PC.

In a more limited way you should be able use vorpX’s ‘Generic Headset’ and ‘Generic 3D Display’ modes, which show the final image on the desktop, together with some stereo viewer app on your local machine. There won’t be any head tracking without additional software that way though, also several DirectVR functions aren’t available in these modes and on top of that the cloud PC latency (lag) would probably ruin the experience anyway.

Theoretically it’s possible to create a client/server solution (similar to using ALVR or Virtual Desktop with vorpX locally), but I don’t think any of these can handle your use case currently. Also the latency issue would remain, of course.

TLDR: vorpX (and VR In general) with a cloud PC won’t really work, at least not as one would expect it to work.

onetoo
    Participant

I’ve used VorpX with the Quest via Virtual Desktop (ALVR may work too). Many have the same setup but include Shadow and it seems to work for them. I think it depends heavily on your location vs Server location. There’s a Virtual Desktop Discord with a section for Shadow Gaming.

Oculus Quest + Virtual Desktop + Shadow = the future of gaming
    byu/Greystache inShadowPC

Edit, also shadow is working on a VR streaming component.
    https://community.shadow.tech/usen/blog/news/shadow-vr-exploration

kurry
    Participant

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get my shadowpc . In the mean time, I do have an old 980ti that I can use to play some of the older pc games.

mstmorse
    Participant

I have used ShadowPC + virtual Desktop + Vorpx. I started using it as certain games for what ever reason would not work on my laptop. Maybe because my computer did not have high enough requirements. Well for me works pretty well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!