anyone with a ryzen 3000 cpu ?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion anyone with a ryzen 3000 cpu ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steph12
    Participant

hello !

i’m curious to know if anyone here upgraded to a ryzen 3700x/3800x/3900x ?

i’d like to know how is the performance boost for vorpx compared to let’s say a 5820k :D
    or just how’s the performance boost for vorpx compared to your previous cpu.

that’d be very interesting to know !

moarveer
    Participant

im interested in this too

zig11727
    Participant

I purchased the Ryzen 3900x which is equal in performance to my other gaming computer which is I9-9900K.

I paired the Ryzen 3900x with Aorus Gaming WiFi pro (full size) motherboard and I’m very happy with it.

steph12
    Participant

so, anyone with previous gen cpu did the jump to a ryzen 3000 cpu ? :D

would be nice to have some benchmarks vorpx related !

moarveer
    Participant

Yeah me too, I’ve a crappy I5 4670k or something like that so I’m interested in knowing how much vorpx improves with a cpu upgrade.

Ralf
    Keymaster

With a recent i7-9700K for example you may see a ~30% improvement coming from your 4-core i5-4670K in the best case. Maybe a bit more with highly multithreaded games since vorpX likes to have 1-2 cores for itself. Best case means entirely CPU limited games here. Not all games are CPU limited though, if the GPU is the limiting factor in a game, a CPU upgrade does nothing.

With Geometry 3D the probability of a game being CPU limited is relatively high with vorpX though due to the stereo rendering, higher than for monitor gaming.

The most important aspect is the single core speed here since vorpX with Geometry 3D puts a lot of stress on the rendering thread of a game. More cores also will help coming from a 4-core i5, but not as much as raw single core speed. Sadly single core CPU performance doesn’t improve as much anymore these days as it did in the past.

In a nutshell:

The ideal vorpX CPU has 6+ (virtual) cores with high single core performance. You can compare CPUs on userbechmark.com.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/4030vs1538

steph12
    Participant

thank you Ralf for clearing things up :)

having a 5820k o/c’d at 4.375mhz with 16 giga of ddr4 @ 3000 mhz cl15, i was looking to see if going to ryzen 3000 would worth it, well i’m still looking for some benchs for vorpx, maybe someone here will provide them.

or maybe i’ll just wait 2020/2021 before upgrading cpu.

my gpu atm is a gtx 1080.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Comparing the single core performance of your CPU with the single core performance of a Ryzen 3000 on userbenchmark.com should give you a decent impression of what to expect.

Don’t expect anyone to do extensive benchmarks for you, the CPU is so new that I would consider it rather unlikely to find someone willing to do that. I would, but I also don’t have one here. Also the situation will differ so much from game to game that a general comparison is the best indicator you can get anyway.

steph12
    Participant

alright, thanks ^^ going to check that.

edit : checked, about 32% performance increase according to userbenchmark, not bad, but i dont think it’s worth the upgrade (in my case), i think i’ll just upgrade my gpu first with nextgen nvidia cards in 2020.

moarveer
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation Ralf, good to see that i could get a nice boost from a cpu upgrade, i was thinking on getting a i5 9600k since it’s really affordable compared to i7/i9/Ryzen 3000, can be oc and has great single thread performance at 6 Cores 6 Threads @3.70 GHZ and at high res it can perform similarly to i7 9700k https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_9600k_processor_review,19.html, hopefully next black friday ill be able to grab it cheap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!