Arma 3 settings

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Arma 3 settings

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nrosko
    Participant

I’m not having much joy with vorpx, but for me arma 3 works pretty well. The graphics are for me the best i have experience in vr, i’m really surprised how good the performance is with such clear & sharp image & and setting up fairly high. one issue im having is getting tracking & fov to feel correct, also 3d is a bit flat. Anyone have any tips?

Ralf
    Keymaster

FOV can be taken care of by the vorpX Game Optimizer in the config app. In regard to tracking the normal way for games without Direct VR is to adjust the head tracking sensitivity in the vorpX ingame menu.

For Arma 3 there also is the option to use OpenTrack, which can provide decoupled aim/look for this game by emulating TrackIR input. Setting it up is a bit complicated, and I’m not sure whether OpenTrack was updated for the actual consumer headsets, but it’s worth to check that if you want to invest some time.

Someone made a video how to set it up a while ago for the Oculus DK2. Provided OpenTrack can now also handle your headset, most of it would still apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXToJ8hc_fI

bob24
    Participant

do you think we’ll see direct vr for arma 3 in the near future?

matteo39
    Participant

anyone has tried arma 3 recently with vorpx?

DarKcyde
    Participant

I have. It works great. Head tracking works in vorpx, so Opentrack isn’t required any more. However, I like opentrack better because its got perfect 1:1 tracking, while the vorpx is still mouse based, and takes some tweaking, never quite feels the same as opentrack.

DirectVR only uses 4:3 ratios, and the FOV isn’t quite perfect. Mentioned it on reddit, and Ralf noticed it’s off too. The value is calculated for the headset, which should be perfect, but Arma uses some zoom. Its pretty close on stock DirectVR settings, and will get tweaked in the next release (from talking to Ralf on Reddit). Helicopters use a slightly more zoomed FOV from on foot, so that takes even more tweaking. I highly recommend mapping analog zoom to a slider/rotary. I use the friction control on the warthog, its perfect. Lets you easily tweak it realtime, just swing your head left/right until things stop swimming and look normal.

There’s always issues with FPS. I get a strange double image when moving, like every other frame is one behind. Locking ASW 45fps makes it very obvious. You can still play, but its annoying. When i (rarely) get the FPS up to 90, it goes away. Since the best you can usually do is somewhere between 45-90, its not ideal. Someone mentioned judder issues w/ 18.0.3 on the newest nvidia drivers, I dropped down to 398.36 driver and things feel smoother.

For maximum tweaking, create these custom rez:
    1080×1200 (oculus native)
    1296×1440 (1.2x)
    1512×1680 (1.4x)

Then you’ll have to do repeated restarts to tweak up the FOV, but a zoom control lets you know which direction to go at least. Those are 9:10 aspect ratio. Start at 96deg vertical, and work down from there.

If you use opentrack, don’t disable headtracking in vorpX, just set the sensitivity to 0, and turn off roll/translation. That way you can still look around in edgepeak mode.

DarKcyde
    Participant

Just found this helpful info

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/163439-some-facts-about-zoom-and-field-of-view-fov-in-arma/

Note that default soldier FOV is 14/15, that explains why native values aren’t working. Vehicles actually have a variable zoom based on speed, gah. Somebody’s gotta make an Arma mod to fix all this crap.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX (obviously) cannot consider external tracking for frame interpolation. Using the default vorpX head tracking should solve your ‘double vision’ issue with framarates below 90fps.

DarKcyde
    Participant

Nope, I tried native tracking too. Same thing. Reinstalled VorpX. downgraded drivers. Went to the lowest possible resolution, still get it. Tried safest, safer, fast. All the same. All arma settings low as they will go (well some like shadows kept on high, otherwise arma moves them from GPU to CPU).

Ralf
    Keymaster

If that is the case, something as wrong. Like all VR apps vorpX creates intermediate frames when the framerate is below 90fps to tackle that. That cannot work with an external tracking solution though since for creating these artificial frames head tracking data is used.

Please try a factory reset in the config app and do not tweak anything manually except FOV which currently is ~10° too high. If you have changed the mouse sensitivity in the game, you will have to adjust the vorpX head tracking sensitivity accordingly. Alternatively reset the game’s mouse sensitivity to its default value, then you don’t have to do that extra step.

With everything at default, vorpX as well the game’s mouse settings, there is no such issue. Just double checked that for you yesterday before replying to your Reddit post.

ahaty
    Participant

I have HTC Vive, Windows 10 and vorpX. Head rotation tracking does not work in ARMA 3. Follows up / down and sideways movement, but not cornering. All settings are default. This is the first game and the only one that I have launched in vorpX. How to be?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check whether TrackIR is enabled in the game options. For Arma III vorpX supports decoupled aim/walk utilizing the game’s TrackIR support. Normally vorpX takes care of that automatically, but maybe that failed for some reason, e.g. if you disabled automatic settings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!