Async Problem

Homepage Forums Technical Support Async Problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CFodder
    Participant

I have this problem in all games where async will turn itself on even thought i have it turned off. If i go in to the vorpx settings and enable it and turn it straight back off again it works fine but it will randomly turn back on again and il have to do it again.
    Anyone else having this or know a way to fix it?

Iv been getting it in games where i get drops to 89 fps even, it will drop to 45 and stay there even though all the settings are turned to off.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You shouldn’t really turn this setting off unless you happen to use a Pimax 5K/8K, where synced rendering works better. Instead switch Fluid Sync off. Any potential throttling that happens while Fluid Sync is off is not invoked by vorpX but by the headset runtime (SteamVR or Oculus).

CFodder
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I am one of those people that prefers to play at 60 – 70 fps rather than 45. Im using htc vive with the gear vr lens mod.
    I tried turning off all the settings to try to keep ny form of sync off but it still turns itself back on again.

The reason i think it is a vorpx thing and not steam vr is that if i open the vorpx settings while in game( delete key) and turn async on then straight back off again it works. The problem is it will turn back on randomly at some stage and il have to repeat those steps.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The async render setting controls whether vorpX waits until a new frame is available from the game before it sends it to the headset (async off) or whether that is done more often below your headset refresh rate provided the runtime didn’t decide to throttle (async on).

The setting you want to turn off to achieve the effect you want is ‘Fluid Sync’, not ‘Async Render’. If anything turning off async rendering will cause the headset runtime to throttle more often not less often. Pretty much the opposite of what you want.

CFodder
    Participant

Thanks again for replying. I just did a little bit of testing. I checked steam and all sync options are turned to off.

Started Far Cry 2 up. When i got in game i was running at 45 fps ( in both headset and game). I hit alt tab and then again to get back in to the game and instantly both fps values went up to 90 and stayed there. So just alt tab is fixing it.
    The problem happens every time i start the game so it is a reproducible problem but it also happens randomly while playing which is odd.

Il have to do more testing, perhaps it is games that are run in fullscreen only. I have only recently started getting the problem though which is also odd.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll check whether there maybe is some bug. The normal behavior is the one described above. I could imagine though that the switching itself briefly changes the runtime’s mind about whether to throttle or not so to speak, which would explain what you see.

You really shouldn’t touch the async setting for what you want. Async Redering on, Fluid Sync off is what you want. Unless the headset runtime decides to throttle that results in 90fps for the headset rendering thread with a variable framerate (or ideally also 90fps) for the game. I can’t really do much more than trying to explain in an understandable way what the option does. Sorry if I failed to do that properly.

CFodder
    Participant

All good. I was just kind of hoping maybe someone else was having a similar issue and there was and easy permanent fix. Alt tabbing is pretty easy itself though so it’s no problem. If i find a definitive reason il come back and post why it was happening. Thanks a ton for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!