Auto-restoring modified game ini settings…

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Auto-restoring modified game ini settings…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TimmyP
    Participant

Am I missing something somewhere?

I see that it modifies game settings themselves, so that means it modifies the games ini. Is there an option to have the “2d mode” ini restored automatically upon exit? The vorpx modified game ini could just be backed up and restored for each launch through vorpx.

Surely this has to be an option somewhere? Do I really have to keep going into Vorpx to restore the old game settings for 2d mode?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can revert any changes vorpX made to game config files under ‘Restore Game Settings’ in the config app.

TimmyP
    Participant

But is there a way to automatically do that? If you dont click that button for Kingdom Come Deliverance, then launch in 2d mode, it starts in a lower resolution and settings that vorpx detected.

This is typically rectified by having 2 separate ini’s and a wait command.

Like you have a 2dmode.ini and a 3dmode.ini, then the main KingdomCome.ini.

copy 3dmode.ini overwrite KingdomCome.ini (main game ini)
    start wait KingdomCome.exe
    copy 2dmode.ini overwrite KingdomCome.ini

2d mode is restored after exe is terminated automatically.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX changes the settings according to various vorpX options when you launch the game with vorpX or when you change vorpX options ingame that affect changed ini values. Typically that implies a restart with the changed .ini files, which would (obviously) not be possible if .ini settings that got just changed would be reverted on exit.

You can simply revert any changes in the config app when you want to go back to playing on your monitor. Should you later decide to play with vorpX again, vorpX’s DirectVR automatically applies its changes again.

TimmyP
    Participant

Yes, but then you have to manually revert every single time. Why not just have it automated? It just has to restore the old ini when the game terminates.

Having it automated would allow one to play freely on their monitor or vr headset depending on where it was launched from (Windows shortcuts=2d mode Vorpx=3d mode shortcuts) without having to click that button every time.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Like I said, because when vorpX changes the ini on start or while you are ingame that typically implies a restart with the changed .ini. It would obviously not be possible to restart the game with changed ini setting when the ini changes get reverted on exit. Games typically load their ini files on start, changing them while the game is running and then revert the changes on exit usually would have no effect at all.

I’m not sure how often you want to switch between monitor/vorpX gaming for a particular game, but pardon me that I have a hard time understanding where exactly your problem lies. When you want to play with vorpX, everything happens automatically, when you later decide to play on your monitor again, all you have to do is a single click in the config app and that’s it.

TimmyP
    Participant

So the changes do get reverted when Vorpx is closed? Then thats my fault, I thought the settings for the games stuck. Sorry I thought I experienced it the way I was trying to describe.

PS: I switch between monitor and goggles sometimes 2-3x daily for a game. ;-)

TimmyP
    Participant

You can automate the game part of it with a native /wait for termination.

It doesnt change the actual in game graphics settings, but it does change and leave windowed values in game inis when you close vorpx. Then if you run the game again, it launches windowed which really screws up KCD if you change it back manually (You can copy your own backup ini, overwriting the windowed values… like I wish vorpx did. This would eliminate the need to launch it to restore settings).

Ralf
    Keymaster

Changes are reverted when you revert them in the config app on the “Restore Game Settings” page, which only takes a single click.

TimmyP
    Participant

Maybe its just me then. Im not trying to argue or anything. This program is a tweakers dream.

I personally have solved the problem by launching vorpcontrol.exe in a vbs, the script waits for vorpcontrol.exe to terminate, then it copies the ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\Backup\*.vorpx backups back to where the original ini’s are. Vorpx modifies the game every time which works, but for the sake of completion I will make the script backup the modified inis and have them restored automatically when I launch it, and before it launches vorpx.

TimmyP
    Participant

It works.

I can launch KCD through Vorpx, and it is configured how it should be (appears in a window on my desktop, runs properly in VorpX).

If I launch it via explorer (VorpX closed), it is configured as it was. Fullscreen and everything. Dont need to touch a thing.

I just have to add file paths in the script to add other games.

ANENEMY
    Participant

@TimmyP Though I understand Ralf’s point that it is a single click to restore, I too would prefer a semi-automated system for handling the ini swapping. Sorry to necro your post here in 2022… Hope everyone is doing ok.

Personally as a consumer, I wish it were as simple as “is Vorpx running? Then it will launch as a VR game. If not, it launches 2D”. Being able to launch as you said in your post would be a great QoL upgrade to my rig.

Is your script still working for you? That being said, could you share your script, or possibly point me to a reference so I could build one myself?

Ralf
    Keymaster

What the OP didn’t consider is that in contrast to their batch file idea some settings changes vorpX applies depend on information that is only known to vorpX while hooked into a game. Secondly vorpX hooks into a game after it has already been launched. Trying to only apply settings changes temporarily at that point in time would be heavily unreliable and actually fail for a fair amount of games since they might already have loaded or at least opened config files at that point.

All in all temporary settings changes would be less reliable and in some cases, which rely on information only known at runtime (e.g. resolution anf FOV related settings), also impossible to apply with the precision vorpX does apply them.

ANENEMY
    Participant

@Ralf I appreciate the additional info, it makes sense. I’m def late to the table for Vorpx and still learning how to tweak your software. Thanks for clarification and overall for building this tool.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!