Battlefront 2 FOV change stutter

Homepage Forums Technical Support Battlefront 2 FOV change stutter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

In Battlefront 2, when I am in the menus, I constantly get stutter and right after the stutter VorpX reports that it had changed my FOV. This stutter also happens right when I get killed, though when I am not killed the action is very smooth and silky.

Is there anyway to stop VorpX from constantly changing my FOV or to get rid of this stutter (which I believe is linked to FOV change)? I play in an immersive screen for this game, so the FOV change is not needed and unwelcome due to the stutter it creates.

When I’m actually in a game the action is very smooth (until I am killed when that FOV change stutter happens), but the FOV change stutter in the game menus and as soon as I die is very jarring and harms what is an otherwise very immersive experience.

Also I noticed geometric 3D is not available. Didn’t Ralf mention a month or two ago that geometric 3D will be added for Frostbite engine games? Anyway the Z-3D looks quite excellent, so it’s not really a big deal. Compared to that stutter it’s a non issue, but I am curious.

Thanks again for such a great tool Ralf!

Ralf
    Keymaster

The stutter is almost certainly unrelated to the FOV change. In BF2 FOV is changed by editing the game’s ini. The game probably resets it when you open the graphics options hence you see a message after closing the options menu. This only happens once after closing the menu.

I’ll check whether there might be some other reason for stutter recently.

G3D for Frostbite is due for vorpX 19.1.0. I’m still shooting for pre-Christmas, but that’s not entirely certain anymore. Fingers crossed.

Just in case: If you are using a WMR headset, please make sure that FluidSync is enabled (should be per default) and you get solid 45fps. WMR headsets still don’t support SteamVR’s asynchronous reprojection.

markbradley1982
    Participant

The stutter is almost certainly unrelated to the FOV change. In BF2 FOV is changed by editing the game’s ini. The game probably resets it when you open the graphics options hence you see a message after closing the options menu. This only happens once after closing the menu.

I’ll check whether there might be some other reason for stutter recently.

G3D for Frostbite is due for vorpX 19.1.0. I’m still shooting for pre-Christmas, but that’s not entirely certain anymore. Fingers crossed.

Just in case: If you are using a WMR headset, please make sure that FluidSync is enabled (should be per default) and you get solid 45fps. WMR headsets still don’t support SteamVR’s asynchronous reprojection.

The FOV change stutter is happening constantly in menus but I’m not doing anything like changing graphics options. I’m just going through the menu to start arcade / multiplayer or to reload an arcade round. For example the FOV stutter happens when it’s time to select my star wars character in arcade mode. It also happens right when I am killing which makes dying very jarring.

Is it possible to disable FOV changes when it’s completely not helpful such as when I’m using an immersive screen?

Also I’m on the Vive.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Your stutter may seem related to the FOV change to you due to temporal coincidence, but it almost certainly (99.9%) is not caused by it. vorpX checks occasionally whether the FOV .ini value requires an update, and then changes it once if necessary. That never has caused any stutter in the last two years, it’s unlikely to cause stutter now.

You can disable auto settings on the DirectVR page of the ingame menu. I would highly advise against that though.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Your stutter may seem related to the FOV change to you due to temporal coincidence, but it almost certainly (99.9%) is not caused by it. vorpX checks occasionally whether the FOV .ini value requires an update, and then changes it once if necessary. That never has caused any stutter in the last two years, it’s unlikely to cause stutter now.

You can disable auto settings on the DirectVR page of the ingame menu. I would highly advise against that though.

I see what you mean. In that case the stutter may not be related to an FOV change at all. It certainly only happens in particular instance such as as soon as I die or when I’m selecting particular things in the menu. It never happens while actually playing a game until I’m actually killed. Performance ingame is actually totally fine until my death. As soon as I die the screen goes blank for a second (iirc it shows the default steam VR waiting room).

dellrifter22
    Participant

A game update to BF2 last year caused Z3D to break during death cam and in menus. Ralf figured out a way to update Z-buffer checks more consistently, and a profile update fixed it. I wonder if this could be related, and you are just experiencing vorpX recovering from the hiccup.

I havn’t checked in with BF2 for a while (am purposely waiting for the soon coming G3D), but maybe I’ll take a quick look. I do remember Z3D looking great already.

markbradley1982
    Participant

A game update to BF2 last year caused Z3D to break during death cam and in menus. Ralf figured out a way to update Z-buffer checks more consistently, and a profile update fixed it. I wonder if this could be related, and you are just experiencing vorpX recovering from the hiccup.

I havn’t checked in with BF2 for a while (am purposely waiting for the soon coming G3D), but maybe I’ll take a quick look. I do remember Z3D looking great already.

Yeah Z3D looks great, but yes that sounds similar to the problem I am describing. Let me know what your BF2 experience is like and if it’s similar to how I am describing it. Also I’m playing with a immersive virtual screen if I remember correctly rather than the virtual reality mode.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!