Best VorpX and Fallout New Vegas Resolution Setting?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Best VorpX and Fallout New Vegas Resolution Setting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yonkiman
    Participant

I’m having trouble with this (Oculus Quest 2, RTX 2080 Super). I’ve been playing in non-VorpX mode in 3440×1440, and everything looks great.

But when I launch it with VorpX, the HUD is too small to read and the response is a little laggy/jittery – I think I need to go to a lower resolution. VorpX says it automatically sets the optimum resolution, but it doesn’t seem to. Inside the VorpX GUI, I changed the auto resolution target several times from “Just OK” (or whatever it’s called) to “Ultra”, but the screen looked exactly the same after rebooting – same image quality, everything the same size, etc.

Someone suggested 1832×1920 as a great resolution for VorpX and the Occulus Quest 2, so I added it to my nVidia settings and changed my fallout.ini file to 1832×1920, but that just made the game tall and thin, with the sides clipped. I tried standard 16:9 resolutions like 1920×1080, but it didn’t look right either. Ironically the best it looked was when it was set to the original 3440×1440.

What might I be doing wrong? Is there a way to see, while inside the game/VorpX, what the resolution Vorp is actually getting? I’m worried that the video card might be sending a 1920×1080 image inside a 3440×1440 frame or some sort of scaling screw up like that. I’ve set the GPU to no scaling, which I think is right, but there are so many dang variables…

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Lawrence1962
    Participant

Im my opinion are in games with FullVR support resolutions in a aspect ratio of 10:9 or 10:8 the best solution, because you will get a decent performance. But many other vorpx user prefer 4:3 Resolutions in first person games with FullVR support, because it’s a little bit wider. Turn off the vorpx option to change the resolution, and try to get the highest resolution which reaches 60fps. In G3D you can’t get very high resolutions, try for example 1620×1440 or 1920×1620, but i guess in Z3D you will be able to play in 2160×1920 or 2400×2160 with your RTX 2080 Super. The HUD is customizable in vorpx in game menu in the second page, but the the square resolutions lets the HUD be bigger, too !

But you can use mods instead of these settings, have a look here:
    Most of the mods can be easy modified by yourself for your needs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories/63/?BH=1

yonkiman
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. I’ve now disabled Vorpx’s auto resolution feature and am trying new resolutions with the same aspect ratio of the 1620×1440 you mentioned. The problem I have is that my graphics card seems to be rendering the *visible* image inside what looks like 1/9th of the pixel real estate.

In this example pic (https://i.imgur.com/dJ5muva.jpg), the resolution is set to 1890×1680. But the image visible in the headset is bounded by the yellow HUD – it’s basically the size of the center square in a 3×3 array. So to the best of my understanding,

1) The resolution of what I can see is low (approximately 630×560)
    2) The GPU is spending 8/9ths of its power generating pixels I can’t see

Now I admit I have little idea of how VR works – I know you need to generate a little more than what’s visible for overscan and geometry. But this seems like way too much waste.

What might I be doing wrong/misunderstanding?

Lawrence1962
    Participant

Please reset your profile in the vorpx-config-app, and after that try to modify your image zoom, and the size and depth of your HUD in the vorpx ingame menu.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ yonkiman:

Reset the profile to default, then use the ‘Resolution Quality’ option on the DirectVR page of the vorpX menu to adjust the resolution. The highest value there will roughly yield 2400p.

Don’t touch any of the zoom etc. settings. That is not necessary at all, the profile works perfectly well without tinkering. You just make it harder for yourself otherwise. All you need to do is setting the resolution quality option.

Whenever that is possible for a game, vorpX displays an according hint in the to/left corner of the game window. Doing it that way is always preferable if the feature is available.

Lawrence1962
    Participant

Ralf is right ! For new user the default options of the profiles are the best solution. I modify my profiles to squeeze out the last few percent, and that is not necessary for everyone, and prefer the maximum square resolutions in any case even in Cinema Mode. (In Cinema Mode in 3rd Person Games i raise the fov to 150 and set a very near distance of the image.)

yonkiman
    Participant

OK, we’re getting there, thank you both.

The reason I initially strayed from the Vorpx defaults was that the rendered width was so wide I couldn’t even see the left and right sides of the HUD.

So I reset everything to the defaults as you recommended, and VorpX changed the game resolution to 3000×2400, and the display basically looked pretty good…but as before, I couldn’t see the sides of the HUD. Now I have a 3440×1440 21:9 monitor. So on a hunch I changed my desktop resolution to 2560×1440 (16:9), and when I launched again the HUD sides were a little closer. I tried 1920×1440 (4:3), and the HUD was almost perfect.

This is why I get confused. Why does my desktop resolution affect the in-game resolution? Why is desktop resolution never mentioned when I try to get this working? (I’ve had vorpX for about 4 years and tried off and on to get it working well.) I believe I understand that vorpX must render two 3000×2400 images to get the stereo image, but why is it also rendering a 3440/2560/1920×1440 image on my screen – doesn’t that eat up GPU bandwidth?

Anyway, is adjusting the desktop resolution the correct way to control the aspect ratio of the rendered image or am I still doing something wrong?

At least I’m making progress – thanks again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s not how it’s supposed to work. Under normal circumstannces vorpX sets a windowed resolution for the game. When the resolution quality is to the max value, you should see a window with the correct aspect on your desktop, just cut off at the bottom.

Just checked whether maybe something broken in that respect with the game. Works perfectly fine here with a similar setup (3840×1600 ultrawide).

In case you are using a mod manager, try whether the issue also occurs without. I’m aware of at least one mod manager that redirects .ini paths. Usually not an issue, but who knows, maybe somethings like that breaks the windowed .ini change vorpX applies.

yonkiman
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I am using Mod Organizer 2. It’s been working fine with the redirected INI files, but one thing that might cause a problem for other people is that vorpX modifies the falloutprefs.ini file (which is perfectly normal), but some modding guides suggest you set your desired resolution in the falloutcustom.ini file. Resolution changes in falloutprefs.ini are overwritten by any resolutions set in falloutcustom.ini. So initially it looked like vorpX wasn’t able to change the resolution, but once I deleted the resolutions from falloutcustom.ini, it worked fine.

Users also need to make sure that “bFull Screen=0” isn’t changed to “bFull Screen=1” in falloutcustom.ini.

Cheers

Ralf
    Keymaster

Do you mean the opposite? bFull Screen is supposed to be 0.

That is normally handled by vorpX automatically.

yonkiman
    Participant

Yes, I was saying make sure that “bFull Screen=0” IS NOT changed to “bFull Screen=1”.

And yes, it’s handled automatically by vorpX, but it will be ignored if the user is putting “bFull Screen=1” in the falloutcustom.ini.

Put another way:
    Any changes vorpX makes to falloutprefs.ini can be overwritten in falloutcustom.ini (whether you are using a mod manager or not).

Ralf
    Keymaster

Got that, just thought you wanted to change the setting to 1. I‘ll consider the falloutcustom.ini in the future when applying the automatic setting.

If you encounter something similar again in the future with a modded game, best try with a clean install. Impossible to always consider every undocumented thing like this custom.ini.

yonkiman
    Participant

Agree! And maybe mention somewhere that the PC’s display resolution influences the VR display in some way (I’m still not exactly sure what/how – for me it shows up as the HUD display placement)?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That isn’t the case when the game is running windowed, which vorpX ensures automatically under normal circumstances.

If you still have issues with the aspect ratio after changing bFull Screen to 0 in the custom.ini, try a fresh install without any mods (and without ModOrganizer). Then add your mods back in batches to find the offending one.

rift_un
    Participant

Just have to add this, Vorpx’s directvr feature does a fantastic job setting up fallout nv imo, sets everything up…its as good as native vr support, apart from weapon size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!