Black Artifacts when playing in Cinema mode

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Black Artifacts when playing in Cinema mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    peteostro
    Participant

Launched witcher 3 into vorpex cinema mode and i’m getting black artifacts while using it this way. Black tears or flashes of black shapes. This is for the whole screen (not just the giant virtual screen) any way to solve this?
    Geforce 970 with oculus Dk2 0.7 I playing the game in z-3d mode

Ralf
    Keymaster

Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed? On nVidia graphics cards something like this could sometimes happen with very demanding games. Not just with vorpX, but any Rift app. With the latest drivers this is almost gone.

If that does not help, you may have to lower the game’s graphics settings further. Witcher 3 is a very demanding game. To get it run good, you have to play it on medium, better low settings, even on a highend machine.

peteostro
    Participant

this is happening when using vorpx with any game, but does not happen to any game when not using vorpx

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    I have exactly the same problem :(. Please help !
    nvidia driver version : 358.70
    Great work nevertheless !

ppRaistlin
    Participant

more info. Games tested in virutal cinema mode : Alan Wake, Assassin’s Creed 1 (don’t think it s a matter of power. I have 970 SLI and with or without SLI, black bars are presents)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If the issue is the one I’m thinking of, you have to lower the workload on your graphics card by either lowering your game’s graphics settings and/or the game resolution. Also disabling Crystal Image on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu can help a bit with performance.

It may be something completely else though. If possible, please make a screenshot, it’s always a bit difficult to talk about graphical things without seeing anything. Run the games windowed and then open the mirror window in the vorpX menu, this allows you to make a screenshot of what you see in the headset.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    I finally have found the cause of my artifact : nvidia drivers. I was using nvidia 358.70 and 358.78 beta drivers. Revert back to official 358.50 solved the issue. The Oculus config panel complains (he want 358.70 apparently) but everything is working well.
    Do you know if 358.70+ are really mandatory ?

Side question : for my personnal knowledge, in cinema mode, when trying Alan Wake I have Z-normal selected in Vorpx settings and with Assassin’s creed 1 it s off. Is it normal behavior or something i m doing wrong ?

Thanks

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Hi again Ralph, it seems that you’re (as usual ? :) ) right…I still have artifacts, even with 358.50. I have tested Skyrim and no artifacts whith lower graph settings… I can understand for Skyrim that perf matters but with Alan Wake (old) a 970 SLI and i53570K must be largely enough :(

peteostro
    Participant

This issue persists. It is not due to workload on the graphics card. My system plays these games fine with out vorpx. And all my DK2 games work with out any of these glitches like this. There is something going on with Vorpx causing this.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Even if you don’t think it’s related to workload, please try first to run games at the lowest possible graphics settings and follow the other steps in the performance optimization guide in the vorpX help. It doesn’t matter whether the game runs fine without vorpX. With vorpX it’s more taxing, also the async timewarp causes overhead GPU wise.

If that does not help, please make a screenshot and provide exact steps to reproduce.

It’s always a bit difficult to talk about graphical things without seeing anything. Run the games windowed and then open the mirror window in the vorpX menu, this allows you to make a screenshot of what you see in the headset.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

I have been able to reproduce this black artifact in cinema mode as well as in real 3d mode with skyrim. and the fact is that in the lowest settings there are no black artifacts in skyrim
    like you witouht vorpx i can play these games maxxed without a difficulty and all other dk2 games are running flawlessly so you re probably both right : its a matter of workload and this workload probably is added by the new vorpx reconstructing the 3d image in the the new runtime environment

NipOc
    Participant

Hi,
    have you tried to disable ambient occlusion in the nvidia control panel, this fixed black flicker in games like skyrim for me and also doubled my fps in games, when using vorpx.

ppRaistlin
    Participant

Its already done on my control panel :(
    My previous vorpx version played ALan Wake without these artifacts, so I guess it s linked to the new version only (and the new DK runtime of course :()

NipOc
    Participant

Some have reported that this https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-vr-driver-support driver fixed their problems. (Saw my mistake, you already tried it)

grodenglaive
    Participant

Hi,
    have you tried to disable ambient occlusion in the nvidia control panel, this fixed black flicker in games like skyrim for me and also doubled my fps in games, when using vorpx.

This worked for Fallout 4 – thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!