Black Mesa

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Black Mesa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    aoaaron
    Participant

How is Black Mesa working? Any reccomended settings?

I’m using an Index on an RTX 2080.

Was going to play this through on my Quest in pancake but can I play this on VorpX instead? Any issues?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Nothing unusual. Just make sure to check any hints that vorpX displays in top left corner of the game window and in the headset. Also – as always – choose a resolution (has to be 4:3 in case of Black Mesa, vorpX warns you if it isn’t) as high as performance allows for the best possible image quality.

Highly recommended to check the “Custom Resolutions” section in the help in this regard. it explains how to add resolution that your PC cannot display normally.

aoaaron
    Participant

Thanks. Damn so theres no preconfigured settings or profiles for it?

Is it DirectVR compatible?

Sorry I’m new to all of this still. Only played a bit of Bioshock Infinite with VorpX.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The profile has full DirectVR support and the game works great. The only thing you may want to change from the default settings is the game’s resolution.

aoaaron
    Participant

The profile has full DirectVR support and the game works great. The only thing you may want to change from the default settings is the game’s resolution.

Thank you Ralf. Which resolution would you suggest for an Index and an rTX 2080?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Generally As high as as you can go without sacrificig too much performance.

Typically 1440p roughly yields 1:1 pixel mapping on normal headsets, but if you can afford it performance wise, even higher resolutions are worth a shot. Running games with higher resolution does for vorpX what enabling supersampling does for native apps.

War_Radish
    Participant

*Please ignore. I found another post about my issue elsewhere*

slydog43
    Participant

Not sure how to change the resolution of this game. If I try to change resolution in game, it crashes. So I setup custom resolutions for my computer and set it for 2560×1920, run Black mesa (without vorpx) and it goes back to 16×9 (1920×1080). I also tried changing the profile to set the res to 1920p, with it falls back to a lower res. Not saying it doesn’t look good, but I want the best. Any idea on when next update will come out? Thanks

steph12
    Participant

add this to parameter launcher

-w 2560 -h 1440

with your desired resolution obviously.

slydog43
    Participant

Thanks, but that doesn’t work for me. I tried that also with HL2 with no success. Ralf told me to set my desktop to the desired resolution, so I tried that also with Black Mesa, but no go.
    trying to run at 2560×1920 (4×3) with oldui of course).

slydog43
    Participant

Any other ideas

slydog43
    Participant

Not sure why it wasn’t working for me the other day, but I have it working fine now with a little AHK script that changes the windows desktop to 2560×1920 resolution and I also changed the BMS profile to not change Resolution. I can then run Black Mesa in a very nice looking resolution. Half Life has never looked so good.

jjensson
    Participant

Does anyone know how to change the scale a bit smaller? Everything and everyone looks too big (standing in front of someone you realize how big their head is).

I tried raising the 3D-Strength value, and it seemed to work, but now the floor is higher. Reset head tracking doesn’t help. DirectVR scan neither. Is there a solution for this?

If i change my IPD directly in Oculus Dash, would this have an effect in VorpX?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The scale is spot on per default (or VERY close to it). If you believe that may not be the case for you, changing the 3D-Strength is what you want to do. Just be aware that if you consider 1.0 (or VERY close to it) being wrong, objectively it’s your impression that is wrong. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, I just want to make it as clear as possible.

All you have to do to play Black Mesa is setting a 4:3 resolution and running the DirectVR scan. There is nothing to tweak here. I understand how tempting tweaking is for some of you, but with full DirectVR profiles like this one all you can really achieve by tweaking is screwing things up.

Ground height: monitor games are made to look good on a monitor, thus the camera typically isn’t placed with VR in mind. You can alleviate that with the camera height modifier option in the vorpX menu. Be careful though, depending on the game that may cause other glitches, e.g. when aiming down the sights.

dborosev
    Participant

Sorry – dumb question – but what profile is everyone using? There isn’t an official one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!