Black screen in dekstop mode

Homepage Forums Technical Support Black screen in dekstop mode

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    peter-
    Participant

Hi all

Have just purchased a new PC:
    – ASUS Geforce 2070 SUPER
    – Ryzen 3700x
    – ROG strix b450 f gaming
    – Windows 10 Pro

I can’t run VorpX, desktop mode gives me a black screen in the Cinema, the Oculus desktop mode gives me a splash screen with an exclamation mark and virtual desktop won’t run.

I only have one graphics card aka the 2070 super, I have disabled windows night mode, I have reinstalled Oculus and I just can’t figure it out. Have also tried to change resolutions and manually force the Geforce experience to select the 2070 driver (its the only one anyways but you never know…)

There must be some conflict in my system somewhere blocking my video driver.. anyone have any ideas? I have teamviever installed.. can that be it?

Br, Peter

peter-
    Participant

Uninstalled teamviewer didn’t help. Can it be because I’m on a Windows 10 Pro install and there is some conflict with remote desktop or something? Seems that I can’t uninstall that…

Any ideas guys?

Kind Regards,
    Peter

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you have multiple monitors attached to your GPU, try to remove all except the main monitor. If that helps, you can later try to launch the desktop viewer with the -output paramter (e.g. -output 0) added to the target field of its shorcut. That you can define which monitor to use for the desktop viewer.

peter-
    Participant

Hi Ralf

I only have a single monitor- or well none actually when I have my rift attached which is a pain in the b***.

Should I try to install an old graphics driver? If anyone could give me some context on what the problem could be maybe I could play around with it an solve it. Could it be that somehow it thinks that I’m using multiple monitors? My motherboard has an hdmi but the Ryzen3700x does not support APU. Could that be a problem?

Have also looked if there is anything I could change in my BIOS but I was not able to see anything. Should I try to flash with an older BIOS?

My problem is that it never worked so I can’t backtrack it… all I know if that others have a simiar problem on the Oculus forum…

Br, Peter

Ralf
    Keymaster

If I nderstand you correctly a similar issue occurs also with the Oculus desktop, which seems to indicate that there is some general issue with getting the Windows desktop capture API working. Not really sure what to recommend here, sorry.

You could try to use the desktop viewer with the -output 0 cpmand line argument, just to be sure. Although that shouldn’t make a difference if you just have one monitor connected.

peter-
    Participant

That is correct, I don’t think it is a VorpX issue but maybe other users had a simiar problem and a know solution existed. According to the Oculus forum there are other user experiencing a similar problem.

I’ll try as suggested and also contact Oculus. Unfortunately they are experiencing some login problems which is why I haven’t posted there yet.

By the way, I love VorpX Ralf – good work. Used it a lot on my previous computer..

I’ll return when then problem has been solved to let you all know.

Br, Peter

peter-
    Participant

I have not tried many more things – cannot get it working it is an issue with Oculus and it is so annoying.

What I did find however, is that Steam Desktop works. Is there a way I can run Vorpx through Steam instead of Oculus?

Kind Regards,
    Peter

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can try switching to “SteamVR” in the vorpX config app. Works also with Oculus headsets. With some luck that may help, but I wouldn’t count on it. If no program that is supposed to show the desktop in VR works at all, it sounds more like there is some issue with desktop capture in general on your machine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!