Bought a Rift S… question about framerate

Homepage Forums Technical Support Bought a Rift S… question about framerate

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

So I have an O+, and recently bought a Rift S. I fired up RDR2, and it seems like the framerate is a bit choppier than it was with the O+.
    I also noticed that Alt-F and showing the FPS, the headset and game FPS seem locked together. I might be wrong, but I thought they were independent on my O+. Ie. the headset was high and the game was low. Now they both seem locked at the same game-rate level.
    I’m new to the Rift, is there some setting I need to tweak in Oculus or steam to fix this. Its not a massive difference, just noticable, so I’m wondering.

dborosev
    Participant

Also, its not so bad that I would consider it “something wrong” necesarily, its just somewhat noticable, so I’m wondering.

It may “just how it is.”

dellrifter22
    Participant

If you disabled Direct Mode Async then that is normal behavior. You might see headset always locked at 45 on rift with Async on though. This might be oculus’s own asw keeping it half, but I have never been fully sure.

Ironically, I’m new to wmr, and have noticed hmd rates jumping all over the place, causing some frame hitches in some games. I’m not sure if it’s steamVR’s reprojection, wmr, or recent vorpX, but my previous pimax didn’t seem to suffer as much. Still experimenting.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I think the latest game update, which I received yesterday, made things considerably worse. Just four days ago I had things running better in every aspect compared to the last released vorpX: better frame rate, yet still less prone to judder. With yesterdays update however the game suddenly runs far worse than before.

Happens with or without vorpX BTW. If that is some general issue with this new RDR2 update, and not just an odd problem over here, that’s probably what you are seeing too.

Apart from that:

The Oculus runtime is harder to convince to stay at the full refresh rate, it tends to automatically throttle down to half the refresh rate when it thinks that makes sense. Not much that can be done about that except ensuring you GPU isn’t maxed out. Typically Oculus headsets work better than WMR though, at least in my experience. I don’t have an Odyssey, but the WMR headset I have here is fairly prone to inexplicable judder without FluidSync enabled. Rift(S)/Vive/Index typically are far better in that regard than WMR.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I did experience new slow down stalls in last night’s play. They felt like hard drive struggling, with brief CPU and gpu spikes. Hopefully this isn’t Rockstar’s permanent “fix”. I haven’t tried the new drivers yet, or disabling the CPU rebalance argument.

I was switching between fluid sync on and off in a call of duty game, trying to stablize framerate, but it seemed like my Reverb could never decide what rate to maintain. Like it was fighting to enable/disable reprojection frequently. Not sure if this is steams doing or wmr. Just wondered if you had any additional insight from the back end.

Ralf
    Keymaster

From my experience I would recommend always to turn FluidSync on with WMR headsets. All other headsets work fairly well without it these days, but WMR always judders heavily in almost any game here unless it either runs at full 90 or 45. Fairly odd. Overall I spent at least a full week to get to the bottom of that, another day just last week, but no dice. I will default enable FluidSync for WMR again with the next update.

Guess at some point I have to get a Reverb, just to check whether it does anything better than the first gen WMR headsets. The software/driver comes from Microsoft though and is the same for all WMR headsets, so I consider that relatively unlikely.

Bottom line: Enable FluidSync with a WMR headset.

dborosev
    Participant

I think I did turn off Direct Mode Async when I was first trying to fix the original judder problem a week or so ago. So maybe I’ll try turning that back on now.
    I think I tried with my O+ after the last update and it seemed ok. So maybe the latest update isn’t the culprit for me?
    I’ll do more testing when I get a chance.

So far, as a complete package, I’m liking the Rift S more than the O+. I think Oculus just has their sh!t together a bit more than WMR. Larger sweet spot, much better software, better controllers, 5 cameras. But I do miss the larger FOV on the O+ and brighter colors. I have a month to return it, so we’ll see who wins the battle.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Considering that you are you: don’t crank everything up to ultra, especially combined with super high resolutions. You can easily overload even the fastest PC with this game. As always with new games the best method to find the ideal graphics settings is to start with a reasonable resolution and the lowest detail preset (texture detail can usually be set higher) and than start raising detail settings from there.

dborosev
    Participant

No I never go ultra on anything these days. I always stick to middle ground.
    Dellrifters suggestion seems to have done the trick. I re-enabled fluid and direct mode asyncs, and runs like a charm now. No judder anywhere at any time (with 45 minutes of gameplay). Just a leftover setting from earlier combating with the game.
    Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

I would consider even medium settings a tough choice for this game in VR, doing my tests with a 1080Ti here. Go with a performance preset, start with the lowest (but texture detail set to high) and don’t overdo it with the resolution. Game still looks gorgeous and you will be much happier performance wise. I get solid 60fps+ at 2560×1440 (no FOV mod) in the Horseshoe camp, 70fps+ in the surrounding wilderness that way on my 1080Ti dev machine.

Unless you have a real beast of a machine with a 2080Ti and some seriously overclocked CPU, that’s clearly what makes most sense for playing in VR. And even if you happen to have such a beast, you can’t expect wonders. The game is just highly demanding, with or without vorpX.

BTW: Incidentally I did an overhaul of the game/headset syncing last week, with that there will generally be less DX12 judder. I was bit too optimistic in regard to how that is done in DX12 before.

dellrifter22
    Participant

May have been coincidence, but I had a better night tonight with Red Dead on 441.34 hotfix (even though it’s meant to improve Vulkan).

Frame-rate seemed about the same, but not as much stalling. I also didn’t crash once. Perhaps the first night ever, knock on wood.

I removed the cpuRebalance launch argument as well, if that matters.

60fps would be nice, but I don’t think I can give up them lovely vistas. And for me, the dx12 implementation is already very playable. Having it even smoother will be a bonus. Then I can crank it even hi…. joking 😎.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I didn’t encounter any crashes myself, but I could imagine that the currently released DX12 code may cause some graphics driver crashes occasionally, especially if you max things out like you do. The new code will cost a few FPS in CPU bound scenarios (almost certainly not affecting you as you probably are GPU bound already), but that’s a small price to pay for the added judder/crash safety.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!