Camera control/method for turning 3rd person into 1st person

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Camera control/method for turning 3rd person into 1st person

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    VRified Games
    Participant

Hi Ralf and indeed everyone:-),

It occured to me

In “more 3D settings” you can adjust player height by moving the camera on the vertical axis

In theory, would it be also possible to do the same on the horizontal axis, and even the z axis?

This would give us even greater control and options

Imagine, being able to offset the camera in this way

In theory any third person title could be playable in first person vr.

As we can already adjust HUD elements and F.O.V it’s not out of the question to produce some great results.

In my most recent video I attempt to get a plague tale in first person with some degree of success

However although I can match her height by adjusting the camera height…..the in game camera remains at her shoulder rather than her head.

(Characters speaking to her are from your perspective talking to your left shoulder 😂)

If it were possible to also adjust the camera horisontally, I could achieve a flawless first person view

And then the idea struck….this could potentially work for any title if we can adjust the x,y and z axis of the camera

Would this appeal to anyone else?

Any thoughts?

Ralf
    Keymaster

As you assumed no problem technically, although there are a few caveats. Most importantly, like the height and main eye options that would be limited to games with Geometry 3D. It wouldn‘t work for Z3D. Sounds still like a neat idea. As always no promises, but I might add this as expert options for the next update.

VRified Games
    Participant

I will buy you chocolate if you do ;-)

reter
    Participant

never thought about that, it’s awesome. I will buy you a coffee to pair with his chocolate

angelayla
    Participant

I would love this posibility! I’ll buy biscuits if Ralf includes this in the next a
    update!!

VRified Games
    Participant

Psst 👀 psst, hey….Ralf, buddy 👀 i still have those chocolates for ya bro
    🍬

Ralf
    Keymaster

Didn’t have a chance yet to check how well this would actually work with a bunch a games, but it’s still on the list of things to try before the next update.

VRified Games
    Participant

cool :-),

angelayla
    Participant

Please Ralf, try to include this feature. It would be a revolution for VR. It would be amazing to play games like Tomb Raider in first person!

VRified Games
    Participant

Oh man….angelyla

ive been imagining Dead Space, the Tomb Raider Reboots, so many games

it would be awesome :-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Most of you who know me a bit probably noticed already that contrary to how „good“ advertising works I don’t really like to promise the moon, so just to keep expectations in check a bit:

1. This would only with with G3D profiles except for games with positional tracking via game specific DirectVR magic.
    2. When done via G3D moving the camera over larger distances causes visual glitches in games with more complex deferred renderers.
    3. May mess up mouse/gamepad rotation in some games.
    4. Head/face geometry will probably flicker in occasionally when the camera is moved inside/in front of the head.

That said: I will definitely check whether it works well enough in a variety of games and depending on how much of an actual issue the points above turn out to be actually, decide whether it‘s worth it or not.

VRified Games
    Participant

:-)

james002
    Participant

Can we play third person games as first person ones through vorpx and if not then when are we going to have it???

VRified Games
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

just throwing this in here as a use case

the first person camera was achieved through a.ini tweak

but thiscshows how could a third person game can be in first person…achieved simply by moving the camera

5yn
    Participant

For me an option like this would be cool not only for the first person method, but also for improving the game experience in general. The issue I have with multiple 3rd person games like Nioh or Dark Souls, is that the camera is often too far away from the character, which is simply less immersive for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!