Camera roll issue in Half-Life 2 / Source games using Vive

Homepage Forums Technical Support Camera roll issue in Half-Life 2 / Source games using Vive

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sauermon
    Participant

Lately I’ve been noticing an issue while using VorpX and playing games such as Half-Life 2, and other Source games, and I’d greatly appreciate help in solving why these issues happen. I will preface this by saying that all of these issues are nonexistent on the Rift in these same games using the same settings, so I’m not really sure what’s going on with that. Anyhow, my issues are as follows:

In the Vive, after I successfully do a Direct3D scan (and position, rotation, and FOV pass) and recenter my view, everything works normally as it should, except for when I’m looking up and down while also turning my head left to right.

It’s hard to explain in words, so I’ve recorded a small video of it occurring here.

Generally, it seems like the further I look up and down, the more the camera wants to apply roll more than it should be. In the video, all I’m doing is yawing my head side to side, no roll rotation involved. When my view is level with the horizon, looking left to right looks as it should, same with looking straight up and down. It’s when I mix these two movements that issues arise. Note again, that this issue simply does not occur on the Rift, as I demonstrate here.

Yes, I am using the provided Half-Life 2/Portal profile released by Ralf for both my Rift and Vive, and before doing my testes I reinstalled the profile.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated!
    -Sauer

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds as if the DirectVR rotation might not get applied properly. For Source 2 games the scanner has to find multiple memory locations. Sometimes it might not find all of them, which would lead to a success message while in fact not everything is right.

For Half-Life 2 vorpX comes with pre-cached DirectVR values though, so if you are using the current Steam version of the game, there should be no need to run the scanner yourself. A factory reset in the config app restores the pre-cached values, so that’s worth a shot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!