Can i use a factory "overclocked" GPU with VorpX

Homepage Forums Technical Support Can i use a factory "overclocked" GPU with VorpX

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

Across the forum i read that overclocking the GPU is not recommended. I assume this means running an overclocking tool like afterburner while using vorpx.

Now, some graphics cards like the inno GTX1080ti X3 Ultra are “overclocked” by factory default, meaning they run at higher clock rates ect as a “normal” Asus GTX for example.

I assume these hardwareside overclocked units should not raise problems with vorpX as long i am not running a tool like mentioned above, am i right ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The risk of getting one that doesn’t work with the promised higher clock rates should be relatively small, personally I would still think twice about getting a factory overclocked GPU.

Higher clock rates may come with higher core voltage, which not only raises energy usage considerably, but also may reduce the longevity. Whether that makes sense considering the rather small gains in performance is a bit questionable as far as I’m concerned.

RJK_
    Participant

Thanks for answering. A guy is selling two used Inno3d 1080ti (X3 ultra and X4) for a good price. I too prefer running hardware at normal levels and the X4 is only slightly overclocked factory side. This card beats many other in noise and cooling and is sold as an ultra low level noise card. Because noise is an important aspect to me, i consider buying it. One disadvantage is the slightly higher draw in current, but that should probably take effect only in rather demanding games.

I thought of downclocking this card for less current draw, that was the reason for my question above, but that probably couldnt be done without running tools in the background.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you think it’s a good deal, go for it. Use something like nVidia Inspector for downclocking, that shouldn’t cause any problems. Only GPU tools that can hook into games similar to vorpX (e.g. MSI Afterburner) are potentially problematic.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!