Can Vorpx be used with the 0.4.3 runtime?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Can Vorpx be used with the 0.4.3 runtime?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    FranckyB
    Participant

When I first intalled Vorpx, I had 0.4.2 installed. Everything ran fine.

I updated to the latest 0.4.3 version and Vorpx would crash instantly everytime I tried to run it.

Uninstalled Vorpx, reinstalld it and it tried to install runtime 0.4.1 ?! Screwing up my config and camera drivers.

After a bit of fiddling and rebooting a bunch of times, I got everything back up and running with 0.4.2.

So I have to ask, I’m I stuck with 0.4.2 if I want to use Vorpx?
    Which means that I can’t run new apps and demos that need 0.4.3?

Thanks,

Francky

moarveer
    Participant

Ralf mentioned that the next update will arrive by next week or so, hopefully that version with use 4.3. I’m on 4.2 too since I don’t want to lose Vorpx compatibility

Ralf
    Keymaster

You should be able to use 0.4.3 with the current vorpX version, I’m not aware of any ill side effects. If you want to stay on the safe side and don’t absolutely need 0.4.3 for something else, I would recommend to stick with the version vorpX installs though.

The vorpX installer does a version check to avoid installing an older runtime, but unfortunately Oculus changed the registry key they store the version number in with 0.4.3. So this check fails in some cases (like yours). Will be fixed with the next update.

FranckyB
    Participant

Second times a charm I guess :)

I tried again to install 0.43 and it worked this time. Dunno why it broke VorpX the first time I tried, but all seems fine now.

Thanks Ralf!

reject423
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I don’t think this works at all…

I noticed your setup’s “OculusRuntimeLatest.exe” is 0.4.1 – because it installed the runtime side-by-side my 0.4.3

The problem is, like you stated, your installer is out of date and fails to detect that the Oculus Rift Runtime is already newer.
    If I cancel the Oculus installation right after it downloads in your installer, the installation continues, but VorpX will not work.

The symptoms are that Start VorpX will launch and be in my System Tray, but if I go to Configure VorpX, it states that the configuration encountered a problem and prompts to restart it.

If I let both 0.4.1 and 0.4.3(or 0.4.4) “co-exist” on my workstation, the configuration application works and I can play games. I just don’t know if other demos will default to 0.4.1 or 0.4.3(I would rather the latter).

reject423
    Participant

Can’t we just have an installer that doesn’t overwrite our existing Runtime? I think that would make it easier for you and us, but I don’t know what else might be tied up in that installation.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The vorpX installer does a version check to avoid installing an older runtime, but unfortunately Oculus changed the location they store the version number in with 0.4.3. So this check fails in some cases (like yours). Will be fixed with the next update.

reject423
    Participant

Understood — thanks for the fast response. However in the meantime, I guess I will have to downgrade to 0.4.2 ? Not so bad I guess…

Ralf
    Keymaster

You should be able to use 0.4.3 with the current vorpX version, I’m not aware of any ill side effects. If you want to stay on the safe side and don’t absolutely need 0.4.3 for something else, I would recommend to stick with the version vorpX installs though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!