Can you guys bring support to WinDVD 11 Pro!?!?!?!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Can you guys bring support to WinDVD 11 Pro!?!?!?!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    andymnfun
    Participant

It’d be nice to just pop in a blu ray and watch it on the Oculus Rift DK2.

It’s currently the cheapest Blu Ray software available it’s like $10 on eBay.

I was disappointed to find that most videos on the computer work but when I pop in a blu ray on WinDVD 11 Pro the image of the application turns black.

That would be sooooo cool. I know the DK2 is only HDMI 1.3, but I wonder if I could watch 3D blu rays?

This would be a huge draw for Videophiles wanting to watch their Blu-Ray collections in Virtual Realtiy. I’m sure many people would buy Vorpx simply for Blu-Ray support.

andymnfun
    Participant

Man I want to watch my complete star wars collection, matrix and alien blu rays on the rift without having to buy illegal AnyDVD HD software and doing a crap load of conversions and crazy stuff like that.

andymnfun
    Participant

If you guys could advertise full Blu-Ray 2D/3D support (With WinDVD 11 Pro) for the Oculus Rift DK2 (and consumer version) AND tons of games that work? It’d be a nice selling point. You’d be my holy grail application that I’d recommend to everyone I know!

Karlor
    Participant

I think it would be cool to have an all-in-one type thing too for VR media. I wouldn’t think its even on the to do list rite now, who knows a few years down the road after everything game wise is more sorted out they can add non game features. Id rather them focus on expanding and improving the game stuff rather then trying to be an all in one solution. Anyway you could try Cineveo or something(vr movie theater) or whirlygig vr player for 3D movies. Whirlygig worked great for my 3D movies. Hunt around some you can find a player that will work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll take a look at it, but for protected Blu-Rays (and thus most commercial Blu-Rays) that’s probably impossible. The whole pipeline from the drive to the monitor is encrypted in this case, so even if there is a way to grab the movie somewhere in between, it would almost certainly show as garbage/noise. Win DVD and Cyberlink have expensive licenses and probably also have to follow pretty strict rules in regard to protecting the Blu-Ray encryption to be allowed to play Blu-Rays on the PC.

With the next vorpX version it will be quite easy to use Direct3D based movie players like VLC, which is really nice with vorpX’s so far unrivaled high quality dynamic lighting in Virtual Cinema Mode. But for protected content that’s not much help, of course.

grumdark
    Participant

It could also support other players?
    For example,xbmc/kodi or Potplayer + svp with frame interpolation?

LordXedis
    Participant

Have you guys tried virtual desktop? it has a built in movie theater and the screen plays what ever you click on because it is your native player playing it.

HKPirate
    Participant

Have you guys tried virtual desktop? it has a built in movie theater and the screen plays what ever you click on because it is your native player playing it.

virtual desktop is good. and i using it too. it work with 0.7 runtime and window 10 too.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The next vorpX version will have special mediaplayer profiles for VLC and MPC-HC which probably are two of the most popular players. This includes support for side by side and over/under 3D movies and pre made gamepad emulation profiles for basic playback control.

Capturing the desktop is not a good way to handle movie watching on the Rift. The main issue with that for movie playback is that it makes the movie blurrier than it has to be. First the video player scales the image up than it is captured and afterwards scaled again for display in the headset. Each scaling process makes the image blurrier. With the VLC player vorpX can grab the video at its original size and display it directly, which saves the first quality degrading scaling step. vorpX also does the unavoidable scaling step in a special way that preserves image clarity better.

Apart from that simply capturing the desktop also introduces an additional framerate conversion issue as the video is first converted from (for a normal movie) 24fps to the desktop refreshrate (usually 60fps), then captured at the desktop refresh rate and converted again to the 75fps (Rift DK2) of the headset. Similar to the scaling each of these steps degrades quality, in this case visible as micro stutter. Regardless of the player used vorpX always captures the video at its original framerate, saving the first framerate conversion.

vorpX will be a pretty good choice for watching movies in conjunction with MPC-HC and especially VLC. Image quality wise, which in the end is what counts the most, arguably the best.

In a nutshell: if you care about image quality when watching movies in the Rift, use a specialized VR movie player or vorpX 0.9 (available later this month) with VLC, but do not use something that just captures the desktop.

LordXedis
    Participant

Well, of course but in the mean time while we excitedly wait.

Vamplifire
    Participant

you could look into Kodi (XBMC) support.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Tried it already, unfortunately there was an issue when switching to video playback. If there is enough time before the 0.9 release, I’ll try again with the new DX11 Kodi, which will be the default API for the next major Kodi release anyway if I understand things correctly. Can’t promise anything though, may or may not be possible.

Quality wise VLC will be probably the best option though since it allows to avoid the double scaling issue described earlier in this thread. At least on Windows 8+, on Win7 it seems to a bit prone to occasional frame skips.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!